Five Weeks in the Life of the Pound: Interest Rates
Yields to maturity of a set of nominal and index linked gilts are used to obtain estimates of the term structures of nominal and real interest rates. These allow calculation of the term structures of nominal and real interest rates. These also allow calculation of expected inflation. The estimation is performed for a period of five weeks including the date of sterling's exit from the ERM. We look at the macroeconomic consequences of the shift in the exchange rate regime as implied by the behaviour of financial markets, and how those markets incorporate new information.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arak, Marcelle & Kreicher, Lawrence, 1985. "The Real Rate of Interest: Inferences from the New U.K. Indexed Gilts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(2), pages 399-408, June.
- Woodward, G Thomas, 1990. "The Real Thing: A Dynamic Profile of the Term Structure of Real Interest Rates and Inflation Expectations in the United Kingdom, 1982-89," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 373-98, July.
- Robertson, Donald, 1992. "Term Structure Forecasts of Inflation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1083-93, September.
- D. Robertson & J. Symons, 1993.
"Real interest rates and index linked gilts,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20923, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Robertson, Donald & Symons, James, 1997. "Real Interest Rates and Index-Linked Gilts," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(1), pages 25-43, January.
- Levin, Eric J & Copeland, Laurence S, 1993.
"Reading the Message from the U.K. Indexed Bond Market: Real Interest Rates, Expected Inflation and the Risk Premium,"
The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies,
University of Manchester, vol. 61(0), pages 13-34, Suppl..
- Eric J Levin & Laurence S Copeland, 1992. "Reading the Message from the UK Indexed Bond Market: Real Interest Rates, Expected Inflation and the Risk Premium," Working Papers Series 92/8, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:cepdps:dp0133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.