Returns to Managerial Ability: Dairy Farms in Argentina
Most studies analyzing the impact of human capital in agriculture use the measure of years of schooling of the producer as a proxy for decision-making skills. An alternative measure is used in this paper. The measure was derived by “grading” decision-making and execution skills of a sample of farmers. Grades were assigned by farm advisors knowledgeable of each farm and producer characteristics. Assigned grades were then used in a production-function context in order to estimate the impact of management skills on firm-level results. A very significant impact of these skills on production efficiency and firm results was found.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal|
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallacher, Marcos & Goetz, Stephan J. & Debertin, David L., 1994.
"Managerial form, ownership and efficiency: a case-study of Argentine agriculture,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2-3), December.
- Gallacher, Marcos & Goetz, Stephan J. & Debertin, David L., 1994. "Managerial form, ownership and efficiency: a case-study of Argentine agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(2-3), pages 289-299, December.
- Huffman, Wallace E, 1980.
"Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 14-23, February.
- Huffman, Wallace, 1980. "Farm and Off-Farm Work Decisions: The Role of Human Capital," Staff General Research Papers 10973, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Boris E. Bravo-ureta, 2002. "Research, Extension, and Information: Key Inputs in Agricultural Productivity Growth," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 41(4), pages 443-473.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2003. "Rural extension services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2976, The World Bank.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- Fane, George, 1975. "Education and the Managerial Efficiency of Farmers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(4), pages 452-61, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.