Technology Adoption in Nonrenewable Resource Management
Nonrenewable resource scarcity has been a traditional concern when designing optimal growth models. Technological change has played an important role in those models, since its presence is assumed to mitigate the depletion effect on extraction paths over time. We formalize the general problem of a competitive nonrenewable resource extracting firm to analyze optimal extraction behavior and technology adoption when adoption is costly, both in a deterministic and a stochastic environment, when the firm either anticipates adoption or not. Based on a quadratic extraction cost function, our results do not support the traditional view according to which the firm will only incur in an adoption cost when the stock is depleted enough.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (34) 955 055 210
Fax: (34) 955 055 211
Web page: http://www.centrodeestudiosandaluces.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farzin, Y.H. & Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 1996.
"Optimal Timing of Technology Adoption,"
1996-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Farzin Y. H., 1995. "Technological Change and the Dynamics of Resource Scarcity Measures," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 105-120, July.
- Balcer, Yves & Lippman, Steven A., 1984. "Technological expectations and adoption of improved technology," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 292-318, December.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2002. "Optimal timing problems in environmental economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1677-1697, August.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1993. "Natural resources in an age of substitutability," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1111-1130 Elsevier.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1978. "The Optimal Exploration and Production of Nonrenewable Resources," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 841-61, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cea:doctra:e2004_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Susana Mérida)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.