Structural change, National Innovation System and balance-of-payments contraint: a theoretical and empirical analysis of the Brazilian case
The paper explores the relationship between the income elasticities of demand for exports and for imports, economic growth, the technological content of local production, and the level of development of the National Innovation System (NIS). According to the literature, differences in long-run growth rates are associated with differences in the income elasticities of demand, which would in turn be determined by the maturity of the NIS. Mature NIS imply higher degrees of product diversification, leading to trade patterns which favour exports of goods with higher technological content (high income elasticity of demand), and imports of basic goods (low income elasticity). Hence, we test the relationship between the exports and imports of Brazilian high-tech products and the number of Brazilian patents registered in the USPTO, as a proxy for the level of development of the Brazilian NIS. The results of the analysis are corroborated by the investigation of innovations of the variables, through impulse response functions and forecast error decomposition, which confirm the theoretical hypothesis discussed.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lima, Gilberto Tadeu & Carvalho, Veridiana Ramos da Silva, 2009. "Estrutura produtiva, restrição externa e crescimento econômico: a experiência brasileira," Revista Economia e Sociedade, Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 36, pages 30, April.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 2001.
"The balance-of-payments constraint:from balanced trade to sustainable debt,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(219), pages 381-400.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 2001. "The balance-of-payments constraint:from balanced trade to sustainable debt," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(219), pages 381-400.
- Nelson H. Barbosa Filho, 2002. "The Balance-of-payments Constraint: From Balanced Trade to Sustainable Debt," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2001-06, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Raphael Rocha Gouvêa & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2011.
"Structural Change,Balance-of-Payments Constraint and Economic Growth: Evidence from the Multi-Sectoral Thirlwall’s Law,"
Anais do XXXVII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 37th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
74, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Raphael Rocha Gouvea & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2010. "Structural change, balance-of-payments constraint, and economic growth: evidence from the multisectoral Thirlwall's law," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 33(1), pages 169-204, October.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Thirlwall, Anthony P & Hussain, Mohammed Nureldin, 1982. "The Balance of Payments Constraint, Capital Flows and Growth Rate Differences between Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 498-510, November.
- Juan Carlos Moreno-Brid, 2003. "Capital Flows, Interest Payments and the Balance-of-Payments Constrained Growth Model: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 346-365, 05.
- Gustavo Britto & John S. L. McCombie, 2009. "Thirlwall's law and the long-term equilibrium growth rate: an application to Brazil," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(1), pages 115-136, September.
- Louis T. Wells, 1969. "Test of a Product Cycle Model of International Trade: U. S. Exports of Consumer Durables," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(1), pages 152-162.
- Barker, Terry S, 1977. "International Trade and Economic Growth: An Alternative to the Neoclassical Approach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 153-72, June.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td440. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.