Unit roots in macroeconomic time series: a post Keynesian interpretation
The theme of unit roots in macroeconomic time series has received a great amount of theoretical and applied research in the last two decades. This paper focuses on the implications of the existence of unit roots for macroeconomic theorizing. It is argued that the presence of unit roots in GNP time series provide support to the general perspective adopted by Keynes and post Keynesians on output and employment fluctuations, on the non-neutrality of money in the long run, and on some economic policy issues.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1986.
"On "Real" and "Sticky-Price" Theories of the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
1933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 1986. "On "Real' and "Sticky-Price' Theories of the Business Cycle," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(4), pages 397-414, November.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:4:p:857-80 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-34, June.
- Brian Snowdon & Howard R. Vane & Peter Wynarczyk, 1994. "A Modern Guide To Macroeconomics," Books, Edward Elgar, number 450, April.
- Katarina Juselius, 1999.
"Models and Relations in Economics and Econometrics,"
99-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Katarina Juselius, 1999. "Models and relations in economics and econometrics," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 259-290.
- Nelson, Charles R. & Plosser, Charles I., 1982. "Trends and random walks in macroeconmic time series : Some evidence and implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 139-162.
- Kregel, J A, 1976. "Economic Methodology in the Face of Uncertainty: The Modelling Methods of Keynes and the Post-Keynesians," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 209-25, June.
- Cribari-Neto, Francisco, 1996. "On time series econometrics," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(Supplemen), pages 37-60.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1989.
"Unit roots in real GNP: do we know, and do we care?,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
18, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1990. "Unit roots in real GNP: Do we know, and do we care?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 7-61, January.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Unit roots in real GNP: do we know, and do we care?," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 90-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1989. "Unit Roots in Real GNP: Do We Know, and Do We Care?," NBER Working Papers 3130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1992.
"Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: A Re-examination,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 661-80, August.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series: a re-examination," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 139, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- West, Kenneth D, 1988.
"On the Interpretation of Near Random-walk Behavior in GNP,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 202-09, March.
- Kenneth D. West, 1987. "On the Interpretation of Near Random-Walk Behavior in GNP," NBER Working Papers 2364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Davidson, 1993. "The Elephant and the Butterfly: Or Hysteresis and Post Keynesian Economics," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 15(3), pages 309-322, April.
- Rod Cross, 1993. "Hysteresis and Post Keynesian Economics," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 15(3), pages 305-308, April.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1986.
"Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?,"
NBER Working Papers
1916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Davidson, 1994. "Post Keynesian Macroeconomic Theory," Books, Edward Elgar, number 124, April.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Solow, Robert M, 1986. "Unemployment: Getting the Questions Right," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S23-34, Supplemen.
- Mark Setterfield, 1999. "Expectations, Path Dependence and Effective Demand: A Macroeconomic Model along Keynesian Lines," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(3), pages 479-501, April.
- Neto, Francisco Cribari, 1992. "Persistência de inovações e política econômica: a experiência do II PND," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 46(3), July.
- John Elder & Peter E. Kennedy, 2001. "Testing for Unit Roots: What Should Students Be Taught?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 137-146, January.
- Paul Davidson, 1991. "Is Probability Theory Relevant for Uncertainty? A Post Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 129-143, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.