Large Newsvendor Games
We consider a game, called newsvendor game, where several retailers, who face a random demand, can pool their resources and build a centralized inventory that stocks a single item on their behalf. Profits have to be allocated in a way that is advantageous to all the retailers. A game in characteristic form is obtained by assigning to each coalition its optimal expected profit. A similar game (modeled in terms of costs) was considered by Muller et al. (2002), who proved that this game is balanced for every possible joint distribution of the random demands. In this paper we consider newsvendor games with possibly an infinite number of newsvendors. We prove in great generality results about balancedness of the game, and we show that in a game with a continuum of players, under a nonatomic condition on the demand, the core is a singleton. For a particular class of demands we show how the core shrinks to a singleton when the number of players increases.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Games and Economic Behavior|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Real Collegio, 30, 10024 Moncalieri (To)|
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Debreu, Gerard, 1975. "The rate of convergence of the core of an economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Kannai, Yakar, 1972. "Continuity Properties of the Core of a Market: A Correction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 955-958, September.
- Slikker, Marco & Fransoo, Jan & Wouters, Marc, 2005. "Cooperation between multiple news-vendors with transshipments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 370-380, December.
- L. Randall Wray & Stephanie Bell, 2004. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Credit and State Theories of Money, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Muller, Alfred & Scarsini, Marco & Shaked, Moshe, 2002.
"The Newsvendor Game Has a Nonempty Core,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 118-126, January.
- Marco Scarsini & Alfred Muller & Moshe Shaked, 2002. "The newsvendor game has a non-empty core," Post-Print hal-00539841, HAL.
- Kannai, Yakar, 1970. "Continuity Properties of the Core of a Market," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 791-815, November.
- Gary D. Eppen, 1979. "Note--Effects of Centralization on Expected Costs in a Multi-Location Newsboy Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(5), pages 498-501, May.
- Milchtaich, Igal, 1998. "Vector Measure Games Based on Measures with Values in an Infinite Dimensional Vector Space," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 25-46, July.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1992. "The core in perfectly competitive economies," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 413-457 Elsevier.
- Ricardo Ernst & Panagiotis Kouvelis, 1999. "The Effects of Selling Packaged Goods on Inventory Decisions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1142-1155, August.
- Hartman, Bruce C. & Dror, Moshe & Shaked, Moshe, 2000. "Cores of Inventory Centralization Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 26-49, April.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 1999. "Capacity Choice and Allocation: Strategic Behavior and Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1091-1108, August.
- Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz & Ezra Einy, 1999. "The core of a class of non-atomic games which arise in economic applications," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(1), pages 1-14.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)