Tourism and Human Development in Mozambique: an analysis for Inhambane province
The importance of tourism for economic and social development in the African continent – in the second half of the 20th century – is well documented in tourism research with a conclusion that only African countries that have adopted a tourism strategy are converging towards the US real product per capita. This paper analyses the role of tourism in promoting human development in sub-Saharan Africa using data from a questionnaire undertaken in Inhambane province, Mozambique in 2010, a region that adopted a tourism strategy. A logistic regression for randomized response data model is used, taking into account the answers bias in the data. Policy implications of the research findings are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CEsA - Center of African, Asian and Latin American Studies, University of Lisbon, Rua Miguel Lupi 20, 1249-078 Lisboa, Portugal|
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~cesa/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Hay & Kenneth E. McConnell, 1979. "An Analysis of Participation in Nonconsumptive Wildlife Recreation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 55(4), pages 460-471.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "Editorial: Human capital and human capability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1959-1961, December.
- Jun-Wu Yu & Guo-Liang Tian & Man-Lai Tang, 2008. "Two new models for survey sampling with sensitive characteristic: design and analysis," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 67(3), pages 251-263, April.
- Francisco Ledesma & Manuel Navarro & Jorge Perez-Rodriguez, 2005.
"Return to tourist destination. Is it reputation, after all?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2055-2065.
- Francisco J. Ledesma & Manuel Navarro & Jorge V., 2003. "Return to Tourist Destination. Is it Reputation, After All?," Working Papers 03-01, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Francisco J. Ledesma & Manuel Navarro & Jorge V. Pérez-Rodríguez, "undated". "Return to Tourist Destination. Is it Reputation, After All?," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 03-01, FEDEA.
- A. George Assaf & C. Barros, 2009. "Bayesian cost efficiency of Luanda, Angola hotels," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1549-1559, November.
- Cunado, J. & Perez de Gracia, F., 2006. "Real convergence in Africa in the second-half of the 20th century," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 153-167.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "The Human Development Paradigm: Operationalizing Sen'S Ideas On Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 301-317.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cav:cavwpp:wp100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sónia da Silva Pina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.