Distributed Generation Storage, Demand Response, and Energy Efficiency as Alternatives to Grid Capacity Enhancement
The need for investment in capital intensive electricity networks is on the rise in many countries. A major advantage of distributed resources is their potential for deferring investments in distribution network capacity. However, utilizing the full benefits of these resources requires addressing several technical, economics and regulatory challenges. A significant barrier pertains to the lack of an efficient market mechanism that enables this concept and also is consistent with business model of distribution companies under an unbundled power sector paradigm. This paper proposes a market-oriented approach termed as "contract for deferral scheme" (CDS). The scheme outlines how an economically efficient portfolio of distributed generation, storage, demand response and energy efficiency can be integrated as network resources to reduce the need for grid capacity and defer demand driven network investments.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schroeder, Andreas, 2011. "Modeling storage and demand management in power distribution grids," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 4700-4712.
- Jamasb, T. & Marantes, C., 2011. "Electricity Distribution Networks: Investment and Regulation, and Uncertain Demand," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1115, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Zou, Xiaoyan, 2009. "Double-sided auction mechanism design in electricity based on maximizing social welfare," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4231-4239, November.
- David Harbord & Natalia Fabra & Nils-Henrik von der Fehr, 2002.
"Modeling Electricity Auctions,"
Game Theory and Information
- Hoff, Thomas E & Wenger, Howard J & Farmer, Brian K, 1996. "Distributed generation : An alternative to electric utility investments in system capacity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 137-147, February.
- Newbery, David M., 2003. "Network capacity auctions: promise and problems," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-32, March.
- Soares, J. & Silva, M. & Sousa, T. & Vale, Z. & Morais, H., 2012. "Distributed energy resource short-term scheduling using Signaled Particle Swarm Optimization," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 466-476.
- Grünewald, Philipp & Cockerill, Tim & Contestabile, Marcello & Pearson, Peter, 2011. "The role of large scale storage in a GB low carbon energy future: Issues and policy challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4807-4815, September.
- Rego, Erik Eduardo, 2013. "Reserve price: Lessons learned from Brazilian electricity procurement auctions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 217-223.
- Jamasb, T. & Neuhoff, K. & Newbery, D. & Pollitt, M., 2005. "Long-term Framework for Electricity Distribution Access Charges," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0551, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Cappers, Peter & Mills, Andrew & Goldman, Charles & Wiser, Ryan & Eto, Joseph H., 2012. "An assessment of the role mass market demand response could play in contributing to the management of variable generation integration issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 420-429.
- Sheikhi Fini, A. & Parsa Moghaddam, M. & Sheikh-El-Eslami, M.K., 2013. "An investigation on the impacts of regulatory support schemes on distributed energy resource expansion planning," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 339-349.
- Zafirakis, Dimitrios & Chalvatzis, Konstantinos J. & Baiocchi, Giovanni & Daskalakis, George, 2013. "Modeling of financial incentives for investments in energy storage systems that promote the large-scale integration of wind energy," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 138-154.
- Vogel, Philip, 2009. "Efficient investment signals for distributed generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3665-3672, September.
- Luiz T. A. Maurer & Luiz A. Barroso, 2011. "Electricity Auctions : An Overview of Efficient Practices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2346, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:1356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.