Regulation of transmission expansion in Argentina Part I: State ownership, reform and the Fourth Line
From 1992 to 2002, major expansions of the Argentine electricity transmission sector depended on users proposing, voting and paying for such expansions, which were then put out to competitive tender. Commentators hold this novel policy to have been unsuccessful, mainly on the ground that it substantially delayed investment in a much needed “Fourth Line” to Buenos Aire. This paper challenges this interpretation. The policy was chosen because the conventional regulatory framework could not be trusted to deliver more efficient transmission investment decisions. The delay to the Fourth Line was short. Most importantly, the Fourth Line was not economic. Hence the delay was beneficial both in deferring and in reducing costs. It indicated a need to reappraise transmission investment policy because the availability of gas had made it more economic to generate electricity near Buenos Aires than to transmit it a long distance.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hogan, William W, 1992. "Contract Networks for Electric Power Transmission," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 211-42, September.
- Manuel A. Abdala & Pablo T. Spiller, 2005. "Decentralized Investment and Quality Decisions In Common-Pool Networks," Public Economics 0508004, EconWPA.
- Joskow, Paul & Tirole, Jean, 2004.
"Merchant Transmission Investment,"
IDEI Working Papers
263, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Merchant Transmission Investment," NBER Working Papers 9534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Joskow & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Merchant Transmission Investment," Working Papers 0304, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Joskow, P. & Tirole, J., 2003. "Merchant Transmission Investment," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0324, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rodriguez-Pardina, 1996. "Regulatory Lessons from Argentina's Power Concessions," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11609, The World Bank.
- Bushnell, James B & Stoft, Steven E, 1996. "Electric Grid Investment under a Contract Network Regime," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 61-79, July.
- Bushnell, James & Stoft, Steven, 1997.
"Improving Private Incentives for Electric Grid Investment,"
Staff General Research Papers
31549, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bushnell, James B. & Stoft, Steven E., 1997. "Improving private incentives for electric grid investment," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 85-108, March.
- Leautier, Thomas-Olivier, 2001. "Transmission Constraints and Imperfect Markets for Power," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Pollitt, M.G., 2004.
"‘Electricity Reform in Argentina: Lessons for Developing Countries’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0449, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pollitt, Michael, 2008. "Electricity reform in Argentina: Lessons for developing countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1536-1567, July.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Dal-Bo, Pedro & Romero, Carlos A., 2001.
"High-tension electricity network expansions in Argentina: decision mechanisms and willingness-to-pay revelation,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 697-715, November.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Dal-Bó, Pedro & Romero, Carlos A., 2000. "High-Tension Electricity Network Expansions in Argentina: Decision Mechanisms and Willigness-to-Pay Revelation," UADE Working Papers 9_2000, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Chao, Hung-Po & Peck, Stephen, 1996. "A Market Mechanism for Electric Power Transmission," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 25-59, July.
- Abdala, Manuel A., 2008. "Governance of competitive transmission investment in weak institutional systems," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1306-1320, July.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2001. "Price Regulation for Independent Transmission Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 141-65, September.
- Littlechild, S.C. & Skerk, C.J., 2004. "Regulation of transmission expansion in Argentina Part II: Developments since the Fourth Line," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0465, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Thomas-Olivier Leautier, 2000. "Regulation of an Electric Power Transmission Company," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 61-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0464. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.