The Impact of Service Bundling on Consumer Switching Behaviour: Evidence from UK Communication Markets
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Marc Pomp & Victoria Shestalova & Luiz Rangel, 2005. "Switch on the competition; causes, consequences and policy implications of consumer switching costs," CPB Document 97, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Chen, Yongmin, 1997. "Equilibrium Product Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 85-103, January.
- Joseph Farrell & Carl Shapiro, 1988.
"Dynamic Competition with Switching Costs,"
RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 123-137, Spring.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Dynamic Competition with Switching Costs," Economics Working Papers 8865, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Dynamic Competition with Switching Costs," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1h02g9q4, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Paul Klemperer, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-394.
- Yongmin Chen, 1997. "Paying Customers to Switch," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 877-897, December.
- Paul Klemperer, 1995. "Competition when Consumers have Switching Costs: An Overview with Applications to Industrial Organization, Macroeconomics, and International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 515-539.
- Sridhar Narayanan & Pradeep Chintagunta & Eugenio Miravete, 2007. "The role of self selection, usage uncertainty and learning in the demand for local telephone service," Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME), Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Marc Pomp & Victoria Shestalova & Luiz Rangel, 2005. "Switch on the competition; causes, consequences and policy implications of consumer switching costs," CPB Document 97.rdf, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Whinston, Michael D, 1990. "Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 837-859, September.
- Jeffrey Prince & Shane Greenstein, 2014. "Does Service Bundling Reduce Churn?," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 839-875, December.
- Anne Beeson Royalty & Neil Solomon, 1999. "Health Plan Choice: Price Elasticities in a Managed Competition Setting," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(1), pages 1-41.
- Chris M. Wilson & Catherine Waddams Price, 2010. "Do consumers switch to the best supplier?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 647-668, October.
- Tommaso Valletti, 2000. "Switching Costs in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(4), pages 395-409, December.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
- Barry Nalebuff, 2004. "Bundling as an Entry Barrier," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 159-187.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1992. "Equilibrium Product Lines: Competing Head-to-Head May Be Less Competitive," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 740-755, September.
- Monica Giulietti & Catherine Waddams Price & Michael Waterson, 2005. "Consumer Choice and Competition Policy: a Study of UK Energy Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 949-968, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Serna, Natalia & Riascos, Álvaro J. & Martin, Juan David, 2019.
"Welfare effects of switching barriers through permanence clauses: Evidence from the mobiles market in Colombia,"
Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 310-323.
- Álvaro Riascos & Juan David Martín & Natalia Serna, 2017. "Welfare Effects of Switching Barriers Through Permanence Clauses: Evidence from the Mobiles Market in Colombia," Documentos de Trabajo Quantil 016418, Quantil.
- Lunn, Pete & Bohacek, Marek & Somerville, Jason & Ni Choisdealbha, Aine & McGowan, Feidhlim, 2016. "PRICE Lab: An Investigation of Consumers’ Capabilities with Complex Products," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BKMNEXT306, April.
- Yu, Eun & Jung, Jaemin, 2018. "Towards Quadruple-Play Service: Both Individual and Household Level Analyses on Mobile Bundle," 29th European Regional ITS Conference, Trento 2018 184972, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- García-Mariñoso, Begoña & Suárez, David, 2019. "Switching mobile operators: Evidence about consumers’ behavior from a longitudinal survey," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 426-433.
- Peter D., Lunn & Sean, Lyons, 2017. "Consumer switching intentions for telecoms services: evidence from Ireland," MPRA Paper 77412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seán Lyons & Bryan Coyne, 2017.
"The price of broadband quality: tracking the changing valuation of service characteristics,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(6), pages 516-532, August.
- Coyne, Bryan & Lyons, Sean, 2015. "The price of broadband quality: tracking the changing valuation of service characteristics," MPRA Paper 65375, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coynea, Bryan & Lyonsa, Sean, 2015. "The price of broadband quality: tracking the changing valuation of service characteristics," 26th European Regional ITS Conference, Madrid 2015 127159, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Kuroda, Toshifumi & Ida, Takanori & Koguchi, Teppei, 2015. "The impact of asymmetric regulation on product bundling: The case of fixed broadband and mobile communications in Japan," 2015 Regional ITS Conference, Los Angeles 2015 146318, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Carthy, Philip & Lunn, Pete & Lyons, Sean, 2018. "Demographic variation in active consumer behaviour: Who searches most for retail broadband services?," MPRA Paper 90366, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephanie Lee, 2017. "Does Bundling Decrease the Probability of Switching Telecommunications Service Providers?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 50(3), pages 303-322, May.
- Kim, Moon-Koo & Park, Myeong-Cheol & Lee, Duk Hee & Park, Jong-Hyun, 2017. "Determinants of the subscription to bundled services and their effect on customer retention in the Korean communications sector," 14th ITS Asia-Pacific Regional Conference, Kyoto 2017: Mapping ICT into Transformation for the Next Information Society 168501, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Kim, Moon-Koo & Park, Myeong-Cheol & Lee, Duk Hee & Park, Jong-Hyun, 2019. "Determinants of subscriptions to communications service bundles and their effects on customer retention in Korea," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(9).
More about this item
KeywordsBundling; Consumers; Panel-data; Regulation; Switching; telecommunications;
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2015-04-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2015-04-19 (Marketing)
- NEP-REG-2015-04-19 (Regulation)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bri:cmpowp:14/321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cmbriuk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.