Financial-Transaction Tax: Small Is Beautiful
Based on their contribution to the European Parliament Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee, in this Policy Contribution Resident Fellows Zsolt Darvas and Jakob von Weizsäcker discuss the merits of the much-discussed financial-transaction tax. They argue that the case for taxing financial transactions for the sake of not raising revenue is relatively weak, but a financial-transaction tax could be useful in limiting socially-undesirable transactions. On this basis, they say, a very small, coordinated tax on financial transactions could be implemented successfully.A revised version of this paper was also published in Society and Economy Volume 33, Number 3/December 2011
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rue de la Charité, B-1210 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Darvas, 2008.
"Leveraged carry trade portfolios,"
0802, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest, revised 18 Jun 2008.
- Steve Bond & Mike Hawkins & Alexander Klemm, 2004.
"Stamp duty on shares and its effect on share prices,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Steve Bond & Mike Hawkins & Alexander Klemm, 2005. "Stamp Duty on Shares and Its Effect on Share Prices," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 61(3), pages 275-275, November.
- Victoria Saporta & Kamhon Kan, 1997. "The effects of Stamp Duty on the Level and Volatility of Equity Prices," Bank of England working papers 71, Bank of England.
- Mannaro, Katiuscia & Marchesi, Michele & Setzu, Alessio, 2008. "Using an artificial financial market for assessing the impact of Tobin-like transaction taxes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 445-462, August.
- Stephan Schulmeister, 2009. "A General Financial Transaction Tax: A Short Cut of the Pros, the Cons and a Proposal," WIFO Working Papers 344, WIFO.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li & Qi Li, 2006. "Transaction tax and stock market behavior: evidence from an emerging market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 393-408, June.
- Robert Pollin & Dean Baker & Marc Schaberg, 2003.
"Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 527-558, Fall.
- Marc Schaberg & Dean Baker & Robert Pollin, 2002. "Securities Transaction Taxes for U.S. Financial Markets," Working Papers wp20, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:polcon:379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.