A Dynamic Incentive-Based Argument for Conditional Transfers
We compare the long-run e ects of replacing unconditional transfers to the poor by transfers conditional on the education of children. Unlike the Mirrlees income taxation model, the distribution of skill evolves endogenously. Human capital accumulation follows the Freeman-Ljungqvist-Mookherjee-Ray OLG model with missing capital markets and dynastic bequest motives. Conditional transfers (funded by taxes on earnings of the skilled) are shown to induce higher long run output per capita and (both utilitarian and Rawlsian) welfare, owing to their superior effect on skill accumulation incentives. The result is established both with two skill levels, and a continuum of occupations.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 270 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215|
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dilip Mokherjee & Stefan Napel, 2006.
"Intergenerational Mobility and Macroeconomic History Dependence,"
1, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Napel, Stefan, 2007. "Intergenerational mobility and macroeconomic history dependence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 49-78, November.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Parker, Susan W., 2001.
"Conditional cash transfers and their impact on child work and schooling,"
123, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Skoufias, Emmanuel & Parker, Susan W., 2001. "Conditional cash transfers and their impact on child work and schooling," FCND discussion papers 123, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Freeman, Scott, 1996. "Equilibrium Income Inequality among Identical Agents," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 1047-64, October.
- Thurow, Lester C, 1974. "Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 190-95, May.
- Ljungqvist, Lars, 1993.
"Economic underdevelopment : The case of a missing market for human capital,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 219-239, April.
- Ljungqvist, L., 1990. "Economic Underdevelopment: The Case Of A Missing Market For Human Capital," Working papers 90-20, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Debraj Ray, 2006. "On the dynamics of inequality," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 29(2), pages 291-306, October.
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan & Eldar Shafir, 2004.
"A Behavioral-Economics View of Poverty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 419-423, May.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Ray, Debraj, 2002.
57, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Debraj Ray, 2000. "Persistent Inequality," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-108, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Oct 2002.
- Behrman, Jere R & Sengupta, Piyali & Todd, Petra, 2005. "Progressing through PROGRESA: An Impact Assessment of a School Subsidy Experiment in Rural Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 237-75, October.
- Banerjee, Abhijit Vinayak & Benabou, Roland & Mookherjee, Dilip (ed.), 2006. "Understanding Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195305203, December.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Decentralized targeting of an antipoverty program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 705-727, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:iedwpr:dp-170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.