Optimal Fiscal Policy with Private and Public Investment in Education
This paper develops a three periods OLG growth model where agents accumulate human capital in the first period (benefiting from grandfathers savings, public expenditure in education, and human capital level of their parents), work and save in the second period (earning a salary proportional to the human capital level accumulated), and retire in the thid period, leaving bequest on for the young generation. Government raises taxes on labour and capital in order to finance public expenditure in education. We derive conditions for equilibrium and for the rate of growth, and then carry out welfare analysis in order to determine optimal taxation in a Nash policy setting.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Pierre Vidal & Michael Bräuninger, 2000.
"Private versus public financing of education and endogenous growth,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 13(3), pages 387-401.
- Braeuninger, M. & Vidal, J.-P., 1999. "Private Versus Public Financing of Education and Endogenous Growth," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Nicholas Bull, 1993. "When all the optimal dynamic taxes are zero," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 137, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav & Dietrich Vollrath, 2004. "Land Inequality and the Origin of Divergence and Overtaking in the Growth Process," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410004, EconWPA.
- Jones, Larry E. & Manuelli, Rodolfo E. & Rossi, Peter E., 1997. "On the Optimal Taxation of Capital Income," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 93-117, March.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli & Peter E. Rossi, 1993. "On the Optimal Taxation of Capital Income," NBER Working Papers 4525, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerhard Glomm & Michael Kaganovich, 2003. "Distributional Effects of Public Education in an Economy with Public Pensions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 44(3), pages 917-937, 08.
- Blankenau, William F. & Simpson, Nicole B., 2004. "Public education expenditures and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 583-605, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:589. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.