Returns to scale, productivity and efficiency in US banking (1989-2000): the neural distance function revisited
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Michaelides, Panayotis G. & Vouldis, Angelos T. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2010. "Globally flexible functional forms: The neural distance function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(2), pages 456-469, October.
- Chambers, Robert & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Vardanyan, Michael, 2013. "Generalized quadratic revenue functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 11-21.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & John Loizides & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2001.
"Efficiency in European railways: Not as inefficient as one might think,"
Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 4, pages 63-88, May.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & John Loizides & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2001. "Efficiency in European Railways: Not as Inefficient as One Might Think," Journal of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 63-88, May.
- Kutlu, Levent & Liu, Shasha & Sickles, Robin C., 2018. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Function Estimates," Working Papers 18-006, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008.
"Consumer preferences and demand systems,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 210-224, December.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2008. "Consumer preferences and demand systems," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200801, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Barnett, William A. & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Consumer preferences and demand systems," MPRA Paper 8413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tai-Hsin Huang & Yi-Huang Chiu & Chih-Ying Mao, 2021. "Imposing Regularity Conditions to Measure Banks’ Productivity Changes in Taiwan Using a Stochastic Approach," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 28(2), pages 273-303, June.
- Frédéric Reynès, 2017.
"The Cobb-Douglas function as a flexible function. Analysing the substitution between capital, labor and energy,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2017-12, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Frédéric Reynés, 2017. "The Cobb-Douglas function as a flexible function: Analysing the sustitution between capital, labor and energy," Sciences Po publications 2017-12, Sciences Po.
- Abayateye, F. & Skolrud, T. & Galinato, G., 2018. "Environmental Regulation Stringency and U.S. Agriculture," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277138, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- William Barnett & Ousmane Seck, 2006.
"Rotterdam vs Almost Ideal Models: Will the Best Demand Specification Please Stand Up?,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200605, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Barnett, William A. & Seck, Ousmane, 2006. "Rotterdam vs Almost Ideal Models: Will the Best Demand Specification Please Stand Up?," MPRA Paper 417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo, 2009.
"An analysis of cost efficiency in Swiss multi-utilities,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 306-315, March.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008. "An Analysis of Cost-Efficiency in Swiss Multi-utilities," CEPE Working paper series 08-60, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Depken II, Craig A. & Redmount, Esther & Snow, Arthur, 2001. "Shirking and the choice of technology: a theory of production inefficiency with an empirical application," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 383-402, April.
- Pan, Shihua, 1990. "The microfoundations of mixed system of planning and markets: some theoretical considerations and an empirical analysis of the Chinese agriculture," ISU General Staff Papers 1990010108000010876, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Timilsina, Govinda & Vasetsky, Olexandr, 2009. "On interfuel substitution : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5026, The World Bank.
- Oum, Tae H. & Yan, Jia & Yu, Chunyan, 2008.
"Ownership forms matter for airport efficiency: A stochastic frontier investigation of worldwide airports,"
Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 422-435, September.
- Oum, Tae H. & Yan, Jia & Yu, Chunyan, 2009. "Ownership Forms Matter for Airport Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Investigation of Worldwide Airports," 50th Annual Transportation Research Forum, Portland, Oregon, March 16-18, 2009 207604, Transportation Research Forum.
- Frédéric Reynès, 2011.
"The cobb-douglas function as an approximation of other functions,"
- Frédéric Reynès, 2011. "The Cobb-Gouglas function as an approximation of other functions," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-21, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Frédéric Reynés, 2011. "The cobb-douglas function as an approximation of other functions," Sciences Po publications 2011-21, Sciences Po.
- Robert H. Patrick & Frank A. Wolak, 2001. "Estimating the Customer-Level Demand for Electricity Under Real-Time Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 8213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Perroni, Carlo & Rutherford, Thomas F., 1995. "Regular flexibility of nested CES functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 335-343, February.
- Hailu, Getu & Goddard, Ellen W. & Jeffrey, Scott R., 2005. "Measuring Efficiency in Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Co-operatives with Heterogeneous Technologies in Canada," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19507, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Orea, Luis, 2019. "The Econometric Measurement of Firms’ Efficiency," Efficiency Series Papers 2019/02, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Bellmann, Lutz & Schank, Thorsten, 2000. "Innovations, Wages and Demand for Heterogeneous Labour: New Evidence from a Matched Employer-Employee Data-Set," IZA Discussion Papers 112, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
More about this item
KeywordsOutput distance function; Neural networks; Technical efficiency; US banks;
All these keywords.
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- C45 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Neural Networks and Related Topics
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2011-07-02 (Banking)
- NEP-CMP-2011-07-02 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2011-07-02 (Efficiency & Productivity)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/boggvgr.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Christina Tsochatzi (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/boggvgr.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.