Business cycle fluctuations and excess sensitivity of private consumption
We investigate whether business cycle fluctuations affect the degree of excess sensitivity of private consumption growth to disposable income growth. Using multivariate state space methods and quarterly US data for the period 1965-2000 we find that excess sensitivity is significantly higher during recessions.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Benassi & A. E. Scorcu, 2002.
"Indexation Rules, Risk Aversion, and Imperfect Information,"
450, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Corrado Benassi & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2003. "Indexation Rules, Risk Aversion and Imperfect Information," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 71(3), pages 330-340, 06.
- Pischke, J.S., 1993.
"Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption,"
93-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1995. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information, and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 805-40, July.
- Pishke, J.S., 1992. "Individual Income, Incomplete Information and Aggregate Consumption," Papers 9238, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1991. "Individual income, incomplete information, and aggregate consumption," ZEW Discussion Papers 91-07, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lorenzo Pozzi & Freddy Heylen & Maarten Dossche, 2004. "Government Debt and Excess Sensitivity of Private Consumption: Estimates from OECD Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(4), pages 618-633, October.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2000.
"Business fixed investment: evidence of a financial accelerator in Europe,"
Working Paper Series
0037, European Central Bank.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2002. " Business Fixed Investment: Evidence of a Financial Accelerator in Europe," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(3), pages 217-35, July.
- Sarantis, Nicholas & Stewart, Chris, 2003. "Liquidity constraints, precautionary saving and aggregate consumption: an international comparison," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1151-1173, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.