A Geometric Description of a Macroeconomic Model with a Center Manifold
This paper presents a unified framework of different algorithms to numerically compute high order expansions of invariant manifolds associated to a steady state of a dynamical system. The framework is inspired in the parameterization method of Cabr, Fontich and de la Llave , and the semianalytical algorithms proposed by Sim , and those of Gomis-Porqueras and Haro . Within this methodology, one can compute high order approximations of stable, unstable and center manifolds. In this last case the use of high order approximations (not just linear) are crucial in understanding the dynamic properties of the model near the steady state. To illustrate the algorithms we consider a model economy introduced by Azariadis, Bullard and Smith . Besides its intrinsic importance, this four dimensional macroeconomic model is an ideal testing ground because it delivers steady states with stable and unstable manifolds (of dimensions 1 or 2), and each of them has also a one dimensional center manifold. Moreover, the numerical computations lead to a further theoretical study of the dynamical system completing some of the results in the original paper.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 93 542-1222
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://www.barcelonagse.euEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010.
"Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1382, David K. Levine.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-42, March.
- Gomis-Porqueras, Pere & Haro, Alex, 2003.
"Global dynamics in macroeconomics: an overlapping generations example,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(11-12), pages 1941-1959, September.
- Gomis-Porqueras, Pere & Haro, Alex, 2003. "Global dynamics in macroeconomics: an overlapping generations example," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1941-1959.
- Pere Gomis-Porqueras & Àlex Haro, 2005.
"Global Bifurcations, Credit Rationing and Recurrent Hyperinflations,"
239, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gomis-Porqueras, Pere & Haro, Alex, 2007. "Global bifurcations, credit rationing and recurrent hyperinflations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 473-491, February.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bge:wpaper:364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.