Lï¿½utilizzo degli indicatori compositi nell'analisi congiunturale territoriale: un'applicazione all'economia del Veneto
This paper analyses the business cycle properties of 150 time series, including real and monetary variables, relevant to the regional economy. Following the methodology adopted by Altissimo, Marchetti and Oneto (2000), we propose new monthly coincident and leading composite indicators for the regional business cycle; the leading indicator anticipates the turning points of the coincident indicator on average by five months. With respect to the Italian indicator, recently proposed by ISAE and Bank of Italy, the regional indicator turns out to be particularly sensitive to the evolution of external conditions, revealing cyclical fluctuations not exhibited by the national one. The chronology confirms the peculiarity of the local economy, characterised by a very long expansion lasting from March 1993 to November 1996, tied to the depreciation of the exchange rate as a consequence of the exit from the EMS, and by two idiosyncratic fluctuations. The first one is a short and pronounced cycle occurred during the period 1990-91, coinciding with the Gulf war and the subsequent short recovery driven by the German fiscal expansion tied to the re-unification process. The second is characterised by the relevant recession occurred between February 1998 and April 1999, following the Asian currency and financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Cannari & Giovanni D'Alessio, 2003.
"La distribuzione del reddito e della ricchezza nelle regioni italiane,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
482, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cannari Luigi & D'Alessio G., 2002. "La distribuzione del reddito e della ricchezza nelle regioni italiane," Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 809-848.
- Atkinson, A.B. & Brandolini, A., 2000.
"Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data -Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries,"
379, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2000. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 379, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Domenica J. Marchetti, 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 362, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marchetti, D.J., 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Papers 362, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:wptemi:td_485_03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.