Assessing the allocation of Italian foreign aid
This paper provides an assessment of Italian aid policy during the period 1983-2006. In comparison with other donors (DAC and G-7), the main stylized facts are: persistently lower aid/GDP ratio, greater recourse to multilateral channels, a higher percentage of ï¿½tiedï¿½ flows and relatively greater recourse to debt relief. Drawing on the empirical literature on aid allocation, we estimate the determinants of Italyï¿½s bilateral aid. We use three groups of explanatory variables, reflecting national-interest, humanitarian and selectivity-related motivations. We find that the distribution of Italian bilateral resources is significantly affected by both national-interest (like foreign policy or trade) and humanitarian motives, related to recipientsï¿½ needs; the latterï¿½s role, in particular, seems to have strengthened over time. There is ample room for improving selectivity, i.e., the capacity to direct ODA flows to ï¿½deservingï¿½ countries, where better policies and institutions are likely to increase aid effectiveness.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canavire-Bacarreza, Gustavo & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer & Triveño, Luis, 2006.
"Assessing the allocation of aid : developmental concerns and the self-interest of donors,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
3983, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gustavo Canavire & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele & Luis Triveño, 2005. "Assessing the Allocation of Aid: Developmental Concerns and the Self-Interest of Donors," Kiel Working Papers 1253, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jacky Amprou, 2011.
"Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria,"
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Jacky AMPROU, 2006. "Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria," Working Papers 200616, CERDI.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Jacky AMPROU, 2005. "Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria," Working Papers 200526, CERDI.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2004. "Increasing selectivity of foreign aid, 1984-2002," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3299, The World Bank.
- Dudley, Leonard & Montmarquette, Claude, 1976. "A Model of the Supply of Bilateral Foreign Aid," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 132-42, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_43_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.