Banksï¿½ balance sheets and the macroeconomy in the Bank of Italy Quarterly Model
We investigate the relationship between macroeconomic conditions and banks' balance sheets by referring to a modified version of the Bank of Italy Quarterly Model (BIQM), regularly used for forecasting and policy analysis. In particular, we examine how regulatory bank capital and private sector default probabilities affect interest rates on loans and, ultimately, economic activity. To this end, we build an enriched version of the model to include a number of banking variables. The changes introduced in the model result in an amplification of the responses of macroeconomic variables to monetary policy and world demand shocks, although, in normal times, the effect is not large.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2006.
"Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 829-870.
- Patrick Bolton & Xavier Freixas, 2000. "Corporate finance and the monetary transmission mechanism," Economics Working Papers 511, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bolton, Patrick & Freixas, Xavier, 2001. "Corporate Finance and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," CEPR Discussion Papers 2892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamerle, Alfred & Liebig, Thilo & Scheule, Harald, 2004. "Forecasting Credit Portfolio Risk," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2004,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2009.
"Credit Spreads and Monetary Policy,"
0910-01, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Jacobson, Tor & Linde, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2005.
"Exploring interactions between real activity and the financial stance,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 308-341, April.
- Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2005. "Exploring Interactions between Real Activity and the Financial Stance," Working Paper Series 184, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Claudia Miani & Stefano Siviero, 2010. "A non-parametric model-based approach to uncertainty and risk analysis of macroeconomic forecast," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 758, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2004.
"How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
NBER Working Papers
10295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Skander J. Van den Heuvel, 2002. "Does bank capital matter for monetary transmission?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 259-265.
- Marcucci, Juri & Quagliariello, Mario, 2008.
"Is bank portfolio riskiness procyclical: Evidence from Italy using a vector autoregression,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 46-63, February.
- Juri Marcucci & Mario Quagliariello, . "Is Bank Portfolio Riskiness Procyclical? Evidence from Italy using a Vector Autoregression," Discussion Papers 05/09, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2004. "Does bank capital affect lending behavior?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 436-457, October.
- Alberto Locarno, 2011.
"The macroeconomic impact of Basel III on the Italian economy,"
Rivista Bancaria - Minerva Bancaria,
Istituto di Cultura Bancaria Francesco Parrillo, issue 5-6, november.
- Alberto Locarno, 2011. "The macroeconomic impact of Basel III on the Italian economy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 88, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Carling, Kenneth & Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2002. "Capital Charges under Basel II: Corporate Credit Risk Modelling and the Macro Economy," Working Paper Series 142, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Albertazzi, Ugo & Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2009.
"Bank profitability and the business cycle,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 393-409, December.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Hubbard, R Glenn, 1995. "Internal Finance and Investment: Evidence from the Undistributed Profits Tax of 1936-37," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 443-82, October.
- Petr Jakubík, 2006. "Does Credit Risk Vary with Economic Cycles? The Case of Finland," Working Papers IES 2006/11, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2006.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_135_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.