Value creation in European M&As
This paper looks at the value generated to shareholders by the announcement of mergers and acquisitions involving firms in the European Union over the period 1998-2000. Target firm shareholders receive on average a statistically significant excess return of 9% in a onemonth window centered on the announcement date. Acquirers’ excess returns are null on average. When distinguishing in terms of the geographical and sectoral dimensions of the merger deals, our main finding is that mergers in industries that had been previously under government control or that are still heavily regulated generate lower value than M&A announcements in unregulated industries. This low value creation in regulated industries becomes significantly negative when the merger involved two firms from different countries and was primarily due to the lower positive return that shareholders of the target firm enjoyed upon the announcement of the merger. This evidence is consistent with the existence of obstacles (such as cultural, legal, or transaction barriers) to the successful conclusion of this type of transaction, which decrease the probability that the merger will actually be completed as announced and, therefore, reduce its expected value.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200087 is not listed on IDEAS
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G. & Ruback, Richard S., 1992. "Does corporate performance improve after mergers?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 135-175, April.
- Jörn Kleinert & Henning Klodt, 2002. "Causes and Consequences of Merger Waves," Kiel Working Papers 1092, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lang, Larry H P & Stulz, Rene M, 1994.
"Tobin's q, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1248-80, December.
- Larry H.P. Lang & Rene M. Stulz, 1993. "Tobin's Q, Corporate Diversification and Firm Performance," NBER Working Papers 4376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mulherin, J. Harold & Boone, Audra L., 2000. "Comparing acquisitions and divestitures," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 117-139, July.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Stafford, Erik, 2000.
"Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 287-329, July.
- Mark L. Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 1997. "Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance," CRSP working papers 453, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- José Manuel Campa & Simi Kedia, 1999.
"Explaining the Diversification Discount,"
99-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jason Karceski & Steven Ongena & David C. Smith, 2000.
"The impact of bank consolidation on commercial borrower welfare,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
679, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jason Karceski & Steven Ongena & David C. Smith, 2005. "The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 2043-2082, 08.
- Karceski, J. & Ongena, S. & Smith, D.C., 2000. "The Impact of Bank Consolidation on Commercial Borrower Welfare," Discussion Paper 2000-87, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Raghavendra Rau, P. & Vermaelen, Theo, 1998. "Glamour, value and the post-acquisition performance of acquiring firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 223-253, August.
- Gordon M Phillips & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1999. "Do Conglomerate Firms Allocate Resources Inefficiently?," Working Papers 99-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Nam-Hoon Kang & Sara Johansson, 2000. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions: Their Role in Industrial Globalisation," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/1, OECD Publishing.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- DeLong, Gayle L., 2001. "Stockholder gains from focusing versus diversifying bank mergers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 221-252, February.
- Houston, Joel F. & James, Christopher M. & Ryngaert, Michael D., 2001. "Where do merger gains come from? Bank mergers from the perspective of insiders and outsiders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 285-331, May.
- Caves, Richard E., 1989. "Mergers, takeovers, and economic efficiency : Foresight vs. hindsight," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 151-174, March.
- Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1987. " Corporate Takeover Bids, Methods of Payment, and Bidding Firms' Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 943-63, September.
- Firth, Michael, 1980. "Takeovers, Shareholder Returns, and the Theory of the Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 235-60, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- John D. Lyon & Brad M. Barber & Chih-Ling Tsai, 1999. "Improved Methods for Tests of Long-Run Abnormal Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(1), pages 165-201, 02.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.