Loan Pricing Following a Macro Prudential Within-Sector Capital Measure
This paper investigates the consequences on loan spreads of a within-sector macro prudential capital measure in Brazil. Due to concerns related to a possibly too fast and unbalanced expansion of the auto-loan sector, regulatory capital was raised for auto-loans with specific long maturities and high LTVs. Our results show that Brazilian banks, after the regulatory measure, increased spreads charged on the same borrower for similar auto loans whose regulatory risk weights have increased. In comparison to the set of untargeted loans, the increase was at least of 13%. On the other hand, evidence on increase of spreads also for loans whose risk weights have not been altered is not robust. Finally, this paper shows that the later withdrawal of the regulatory capital measure was associated, similarly, to lower spreads charged on auto loans whose risk weights have decreased. Nevertheless, when measured relatively, this reduction in spreads was smaller than the original increase.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Houston, Joel & James, Christopher & Marcus, David, 1997. "Capital market frictions and the role of internal capital markets in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 135-164, November.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S, 1997.
"The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 495-505, September.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The international transmission of financial shocks: the case of Japan," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1996. "The International Transmission of Financial Shocks: The Case of Japan," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 357, Boston College Department of Economics.
- João A. C. Santos, 2011. "Bank Corporate Loan Pricing Following the Subprime Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1916-1943.
- William Francis & Matthew Osborne, 2009. "Bank regulation, capital and credit supply: Measuring the Impact of Prudential Standards," Occasional Papers 36, Financial Services Authority. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)