Effects of a Free Trade Agreement on the Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices
This paper investigates the effect of trade liberalization on the exchange rate pass-through (ERPT) to import prices. To do so, it employs an empirical estimation of the effects of NAFTA on the Mexican ERPT, and uses a Ricardian general equilibrium model. The model identifies the direct relationship between the tariffs and the pass-through by good. The second channel is the effect that tariffs have on the composition of imports, altering indirectly the aggregate pass-through.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael Auer & Thomas Chaney, 2009.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through in a Competitive Model of Pricing-to-Market,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 151-175, 02.
- Thomas Chaney & Raphael, 2008. "Exchange rate pass-through in a competitive model of pricing-to-market," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Raphael Auer & Thomas Chaney, 2009. "Exchange rate pass-through in a competitive model of pricing-to-market," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 23, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Sushanta Mallick & Helena Marques, 2008.
"Passthrough of Exchange Rate and Tariffs into Import Prices of India: Currency Depreciation versus Import Liberalization,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 765-782, 09.
- Sushanta Mallick & Helena Marques, 2007. "Pass-through of Exchange Rate and Tariffs into Import Prices of India: Currency Depreciation versus Import Liberalisation," Working Papers 3, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Jazbec, Bostjan & Masten, Igor, 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through in EMU acceding countries: Empirical analysis and policy implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1375-1391, May.
- Alexander Mihailov, 2009.
"Exchange rate pass-through to prices in macrodata: a comparative sensitivity analysis,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 346-377.
- Alexander Mihailov, 2004. "The Empirical Range of Pass-Through in US, German and Japanese Macrodata," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 44, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Alexander Mihailov, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through on Prices in Macrodata: A Comparative Sensitivity Analysis," Economics Discussion Papers 568, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Otani, Akira & Shiratsuka, Shigenori & Shirota, Toyoichiro, 2003. "The Decline in the Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from Japanese Import Prices," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(3), pages 53-81, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbv:wpaper:1102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (OSCAR DE LAS PENAS SANCHEZ-CARO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.