Job Matching with Multiple-Hiring Firms and Heterogeneous Workers: A Microfoundation
The traditional search models that consider coordination failure of firms consisting of single jobs, are inadequate when applied to large firms. In this paper a firm-level matching function is derived for firms with multiple vacancies, by introducing heterogeneity in jobs and workers. Firms face diminishing returns to hiring success, which allows us to determine firm-size endogenously. The derived aggregate matching function exhibits constant returns to scale. The main macroeconomic results of the traditional search models are also shown to survive in this model of large firms. The paper thus provides a microfoundation to the macroeconomic job-matching literature.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Malet Street, London WC1E 7HX, UK|
Phone: 44-20- 76316429
Fax: 44-20- 76316416
Web page: http://www.ems.bbk.ac.uk/
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julien, B. & Kennes, J. & King, I., 1998.
"Bidding for Labour,"
dp98-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Marketplaces and Matching,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000.
"Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1999. "Pricing and Hedging of Derivative Securities," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198776192, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Robert Shimer, 2000. "Wage and Technology Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(4), pages 585-607.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Warren, Ronald Jr., 1996. "Returns to scale in a matching model of the labor market," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 135-142, January.
- Hamilton, Jonathan & Thisse, Jacques-François & Zenou, Yves, 1999.
"Wage Competition with Heterogeneous Workers and Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2141, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamilton, Jonathan & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Zenou, Yves, 2000. "Wage Competition with Heterogeneous Workers and Firms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 453-72, July.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan & THISSE, Jacques-François & ZENOU, Yves, . "Wage competition with heterogeneous workers and firms," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1463, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gregg, P & Petrongolo, B, 1997. "Random or Non-Random Matching? Implications for the Use of the UV Curve as a Measure of Matching Performance," Papers 13, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 417-434.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- Daniel Munich & Jan Svejnar & Katherine Terrell, 1998.
"Worker-Firm Matching and Unemployment in Transition to a Market Economy: (Why) Were the Czechs More Successful than Others?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
107, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Daniel Munich & Jan Svejnar & Katherine Terrell, 1999. "Worker-firm Matching and Unemployment in Transition to a Market Economy: (Why) Are the Czechs More Successful than Others?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp141, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter A. Diamond, 1989.
"The Aggregate Matching Function,"
NBER Working Papers
3175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbk:bbkefp:0514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.