Skewness and Location of Distributions of Wage Change Rates in the Presence of Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity
The skewness-location approach to the analysis of downward nominal wage rigidity in micro data judges the existence of rigidity on the basis of estimated functional relationships between measures of location and of skewness of the distributions of individual rates of wage change in different years. Here it is shown that the properties of theoretical skewness-location relationships can deviate from those asserted by the skewness-location approach thus invalidating its test logic. Consequently, judgment based on the skewness-location approach is biased away from finding evidence for rigidity. Der Skewness-Location Ansatz zur Analyse von Abwärtsnominallohnstarrheit in Mikrodaten beurteilt das Vorliegen von Starrheit anhand geschätzter funktionaler Beziehungen zwischen Lage- und Schiefemaßen der Verteilungen von individuellen Lohnänderungsraten in verschiedenen Jahren. Hier wird gezeigt, dass die Eigenschaften theoretischer Skewness-Location Beziehungen von den im Skewness-Location Ansatz behaupteten abweichen können und so dessen zugrundeliegende Testlogik aushebeln. Die Wahrscheinlichkeit mit dem Skewness-Location Ansatz Abwärtsnominallohnstarrheit zu finden ist daher nach unten verzerrt.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg|
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www.uni-regensburg.de/wirtschaftswissenschaften/fakultaet
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christoph Knoppik & Thomas Beissinger, 2009.
"Downward nominal wage rigidity in Europe: an analysis of European micro data from the ECHP 1994–2001,"
Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 321-338, May.
- Knoppik, Christoph & Beissinger, Thomas, 2005. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001," IZA Discussion Papers 1492, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Knoppik, Christoph & Beissinger, Thomas, 2005. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 402, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Beissinger & Christoph Knoppik, 2006. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 275/2006, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Jacqueline Dwyer, 2003. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in Australia," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 6(1), pages 5-24, March.
- Jacqueline Dwyer & Kenneth Leong, 2000. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in Australia," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2000-08, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Kuroda, Sachiko & Yamamoto, Isamu, 2003. "Are Japanese Nominal Wages Downwardly Rigid? (Part I): Examinations of Nominal Wage Change Distributions," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(2), pages 1-29, August.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1999. "Inflation And The Distribution Of Price Changes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 188-196, May.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1996. "Inflation and the Distribution of Price Changes," NBER Working Papers 5793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lebow David E & Saks Raven E & Wilson Beth Anne, 2003. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity: Evidence from the Employment Cost Index," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, October.
- Thomas Beissinger & Christoph Knoppik, 2001. "Downward Nominal Rigidity in West German Earnings, 1975-95," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(4), pages 385-417, November.
- McLaughlin, Kenneth J., 1994. "Rigid wages?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 383-414, December.
- David Genesove, 2003. "The Nominal Rigidity of Apartment Rents," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 844-853, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bay:rdwiwi:763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.