Why Theory and Practice are Different: The Gap Between Principles and Reality in Subnational Revenue Systems
Ensuring adequate subnational revenue is a core concern of fiscal decentralization. Public finance principles for selecting and designing subnational revenue sources have been widely used during the prominent wave of decentralization efforts in developing countries over the past three decades. Available empirical literature, however, suggests that subnational revenue generation often fails to meet needs and expectations, even where normative advice has been or seems to have been followed. Are the principles inappropriate, or are they just poorly applied? This paper argues that both factors are often at play. Basic principles are valuable, but they can be challenging to use and do not cover certain critical factors. Even if the principles are relevant and well applied, implementation commonly faces powerful constraints. Yet despite unsatisfying performance, revenue system design remains substantially based on a conceptually narrow normative framework that lacks a sense of pragmatic strategy and is often overwhelmed in practice by contextual factors it fails to or only weakly considers.
|Date of creation:||07 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad, 2000. "Taxation, coercion and donors. Local government tax enforcement in Tanzania," CMI Working Papers 7, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Blane Lewis, 2006. "Local government taxation: An analysis of administrative cost inefficiency," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 213-233.
- Yener AltunbaÅŸ & John Thornton, 2012.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Governance,"
Public Finance Review,
SAGE Publishing, vol. 40(1), pages 66-85, January.
- Mila Freire & John Petersen & Marcela Huertas & Miguel Valadez, 2004. "Subnational Capital Markets in Developing Countries : From Theory to Practice," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15044, October.
- Eric Dubois & Matthieu Leprince & Sonia Paty, 2007.
"The effects of politics on local tax setting : evidence from France,"
- Eric Dubois & Matthieu Leprince & Sonia Paty, 2007. "The Effects of Politics on Local Tax Setting: Evidence from France," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 44(8), pages 1603-1618, July.
- Eric Dubois & Matthieu Leprince & Sonia Paty, 2007. "The Effects of Politics on Local Tax Setting: Evidence from France," Post-Print hal-00800688, HAL.
- Ritva Reinikka & Jakob Svensson, 2004. "Local Capture: Evidence from a Central Government Transfer Program in Uganda," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 679-705.
- Massimo Bordignon & Santino Piazza, 2010.
"Who do you Blame in Local Finance? An Analysis of Municipal Financing in Italy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3100, CESifo Group Munich.
- Massimo Bordignon & Santino Piazza, 2010. "Who do you blame in local finance? An analysis of municipal financing in Italy," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0094, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Robert McNab, 2001.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Economic Growth,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0101, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Benin, Samuel & Cudjoe, Godsway, 2009.
"Do external grants to district governments discourage own-revenue generation?: A look at local public finance dynamics in Ghana,"
IFPRI discussion papers
934, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Benin, Samuel, 2012. "Do External Grants to District Governments Discourage Own Revenue Generation? A Look at Local Public Finance Dynamics in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 1054-1067.
- Richard M. Bird & Sally Wallace, 2003. "Is It Really so Hard to Tax the Hard-to-Tax? The Context and Role of Presumptive Taxes," International Tax Program Papers 0307, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00800688 is not listed on IDEAS
- Smoke, Paul & Lewis, Blane D., 1996. "Fiscal decentralization in Indonesia: A new approach to an old idea," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1281-1299, August.
- Richard M. Bird, 2011.
"Subnational Taxation In Developing Countries: A Review Of The Literature,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(01), pages 139-161.
- Bird, Richard M., 2010. "Subnational taxation in developing countries : a review of the literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5450, The World Bank.
- Shah, Anwar & Thompson, Theresa, 2004. "Implementing decentralized local governance: a treacherous road with potholes, detours, and road closures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3353, The World Bank.
- Richard M. Bird & François Vaillancourt, 2006. "Perspectives on Fiscal Federalism," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6953, October.
- Christian von Luebke, 2009. "The political economy of local governance: findings from an Indonesian field study," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 201-230.
- Charles E. McLure, Jr. & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 1998. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Relations in Vietnam," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9802, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Bird, Richard M. & Smart, Michael, 2002. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers: International Lessons for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 899-912, June.
- Kent Eaton & Kai Kaiser & Paul J. Smoke, 2011. "The Political Economy of Decentralization Reforms : Implications for Aid Effectiveness," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2336, October.
- Ebel, Robert D. & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2002. "On the measurement and impact of fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2809, The World Bank.
- R Prud'homme, 1992. "Informal local taxation in developing countries," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 10(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Hartmut Schneider, 1999. "Participatory governance for poverty reduction," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 521-534.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ays:ispwps:paper1313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Benson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.