Pathways to a universal basic pension in Greece
Although basic pension had for years failed to catch the imagination of policy makers in Greece, it was suddenly brought to the agenda in the context of the severe crisis raging since November 2009. In May 2010 the government committed to a harsh austerity programme, aiming at fiscal consolidation, in return for a rescue package easing the sovereign debt crisis. The July 2010 pension reform, a key provision of the austerity programme, provided for the introduction of a near-universal basic pension from 2015. The paper attempts to explain why, paradoxically, the crisis made more realistic a universal basic pension in Greece. We argue, firstly, that social insurance pensions may be ripe for path-breaking reform if heavily subsidised in a non-transparent way, and, secondly, that any progress towards basic income is likely to be gradual, uneven and specific to the national policy context.
|Date of creation:||11 Jan 2011|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Basic Income Studies|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 76, Patission Street, Athens 104 34|
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitehouse, Edward, 2007.
"Pensions panorama: retirement-income systems in 53 countries,"
14797, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edward Whitehouse, 2007. "Pensions Panorama : Retirement-Income Systems in 53 Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7177, February.
- Manos Matsaganis, 2007. "Union Structures and Pension Outcomes in Greece," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(3), pages 537-555, 09.
- Platon Tinios, 2010.
"Vacillations around a pension reform trajectory: time for a change?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
27674, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Platon Tinios, 2010. "Vacillations around a Pension Reform Trajectory: time for a change?," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 34, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Goedemé Tim & Van Lancker Wim, 2009. "A Universal Basic Pension for Europe's Elderly: Options and Pitfalls," Basic Income Studies, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-26, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:1106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.