Inflation and Factor Shares
We use results from the literature on the determinants of price-cost margins to derive an equation relating labor's share of national income to the inflation rate (as well as to the output gap, the unemployment rate and the capital stock per worker). The equation is tested with a panel of 15 OECD countries. We obtain a robust positive relationship between inflation and the labor share. Our results suggest that disinflation is not distributively neutral, provide empirical support for the distinct concern about price stability shown by trade unions and employers' organizations, and help explaining the negative impact of inflation on growth.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roland Bénabou & Robert Gertner, 1993. "Search with Learning from Prices: Does Increased Inflationary Uncertainty Lead to Higher Markups?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 69-93.
- Ales Bulir, 1998.
"Income Inequality; Does Inflation Matter?,"
IMF Working Papers
98/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Roland Benabou, 1988. "Search, Price Setting and Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(3), pages 353-376.
- Peter A. Diamond, 1988.
"Search, Sticky Prices, and Inflation,"
509, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Benabou, R. & Konieczny, J.D., 1993.
"On Inflation and Output with Costly Price Changes: A Simple Unifying Result,"
93006, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Benabou, Roland & Konieczny, Jerzy D, 1994. "On Inflation and Output with Costly Price Changes: A Simple Unifying Result," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 290-97, March.
- Benabou, R. & Konieczny, J.D., 1991. "On Inflation and Output with CostlyPrice Changes: A Simple Unifying Result," Working papers 586, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Roland Benabou & Jerzy Konieczny, 1993. "On Inflation and Output with Costly Price Changes: A Simple Unifying Result," NBER Technical Working Papers 0135, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Benabou, 1992. "Inflation and Efficiency in Search Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 299-329.
- Benabou, Roland, 1992.
"Inflation and markups : Theories and evidence from the retail trade sector,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 566-574, April.
- Benabou, R., 1991. "Inflation and Markups: Theories and Evidence from the Retail Trade Sector," Working papers 587, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Konieczny, Jerzy D, 1990. "Inflation, Output and Labour Productivity When Prices Are Changed Infrequently," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(226), pages 201-18, May.
- Blinder, Alan S & Esaki, Howard Y, 1978. "Macroeconomic Activity and Income Distribution in the Postwar United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(4), pages 604-09, November.
- Eytan Sheshinski & Yoram Weiss, 1983. "Optimum Pricing Policy under Stochastic Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 513-529.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1999.
"The Cyclical Behavior of Prices and Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
6909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eytan Sheshinski & Yoram Weiss, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303.
- Mariano Tommasi, 1993. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 700, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1990. "Wage Pressure, Bargaining and Price-Cost Margins in UK Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 239-67, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:460.00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.