Individual Post-Retirement Longevity Risk Management Under Systematic Mortality Risk
This paper analyzes an individual's post retirement longevity risk management strategy allowing for systematic longevity risk, recent product innovations, and product loadings. A complete-markets discrete state model and multi-period simulations of portfolio strategies are used to assess individual longevity insurance product portfolios with differing levels of systematic and idiosyncratic longevity risk. Portfolios include: fixed life annuities, deferred annuities, inflation-indexed annuities, phased withdrawals and recently proposed group self-annuitization (GSA) plans.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ground Floor, East Wing, UNSW Kensington Campus, Sydney NSW 2052|
Phone: (+61)-2-9931 9202
Fax: (+61)-2 9385 6956
Web page: http://www.cepar.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ngai, Andrew & Sherris, Michael, 2011. "Longevity risk management for life and variable annuities: The effectiveness of static hedging using longevity bonds and derivatives," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 100-114, July.
- Rocha, Roberto & Vittas, Dimitri, 2010. "Designing the payout Phase of pension systems : policy issues, constraints and options," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5289, The World Bank.
- Wills, Samuel & Sherris, Michael, 2010. "Securitization, structuring and pricing of longevity risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 173-185, February.
- Roman N. Schulze & Thomas Post, 2010. "Individual Annuity Demand Under Aggregate Mortality Risk," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(2), pages 423-449.
- Vasily Kartashov & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ralph Rogalla, 2011.
"Lifecycle Portfolio Choice with Systematic Longevity Risk and Variable Investment-Linked Deferred Annuities,"
NBER Working Papers
17505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ralph Rogalla & Vasily Kartashov, 2013. "Lifecycle Portfolio Choice With Systematic Longevity Risk and Variable Investment—Linked Deferred Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 80(3), pages 649-676, 09.
- De Waegenaere, A.M.B. & Melenberg, B. & Stevens, R., 2010. "Longevity risk," Other publications TiSEM fa89b4b3-82f5-4c65-8c2c-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Raviv, Artur, 1979. "The Design of an Optimal Insurance Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 84-96, March.
- Horneff, Wolfram & Maurer, Raimond & Rogalla, Ralph, 2010. "Dynamic portfolio choice with deferred annuities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2652-2664, November.
- Stamos, Michael Z., 2008. "Optimal consumption and portfolio choice for pooled annuity funds," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 56-68, August.
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Piggott, John & Wang, Liang, 2006. "Demand and adverse selection in a pooled annuity fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 251-266, October.
- Suzanne Doyle & Olivia S. Mitchell & John Piggott, 2004. "Annuity Values in Defined Contribution Retirement Systems: Australia and Singapore Compared," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 37(4), pages 402-416, December.
- Post Thomas, 2012. "Individual Welfare Gains from Deferred Life-Annuities under Stochastic Mortality," Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-26, June.
- Campbell, Ritchie A, 1980. " The Demand for Life Insurance: An Application of the Economics of Uncertainty," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1155-72, December.
- Sachi Purcal & John Piggott, 2008. "Explaining Low Annuity Demand: An Optimal Portfolio Application to Japan," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(2), pages 493-516.
- Horneff, Wolfram J. & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Stamos, Michael Z., 2010. "Variable payout annuities and dynamic portfolio choice in retirement," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 163-183, April.
- John Piggott & Emiliano A. Valdez & Bettina Detzel, 2005. "The Simple Analytics of a Pooled Annuity Fund," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 497-520.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asb:wpaper:201113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elena Capatina)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.