The Nasdaq crash of April 2000: Yet another example of log-periodicity in a speculative bubble ending in a crash
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Pagan, Adrian, 1996. "The econometrics of financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 15-102, May.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997. "Emerging equity market volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
- Sornette, Didier & Johansen, Anders, 1997. "Large financial crashes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 245(3), pages 411-422.
- Anders Johansen & Didier Sornette, 1999. "Critical Crashes," Papers cond-mat/9901035, arXiv.org.
- P. Gopikrishnan & M. Meyer & L.A.N. Amaral & H.E. Stanley, 1998. "Inverse cubic law for the distribution of stock price variations," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 3(2), pages 139-140, July.
- De Vries, C.G. & Leuven, K.U., 1994. "Stylized Facts of Nominal Exchange Rate Returns," Papers 94-002, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- A. Johansen & D. Sornette, 1999. "Financial ``Anti-Bubbles'': Log-Periodicity in Gold and Nikkei collapses," Papers cond-mat/9901268, arXiv.org.
- D. Sornette, 2000. "Stock Market Speculation: Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking of Economic Valuation," Papers cond-mat/0004001, arXiv.org.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- A. Johansen & D. Sornette, 1998. "Stock market crashes are outliers," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 1(2), pages 141-143, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- D. Sornette & W. -X. Zhou, 2003. "Evidence of Fueling of the 2000 New Economy Bubble by Foreign Capital Inflow: Implications for the Future of the US Economy and its Stock Market," Papers cond-mat/0306496, arXiv.org.
- Fernando Díaz & Rodrigo Sánchez, 2001. "Acciones Tecnológicas: ¿Un Episodio De Burbujas Especulativas En El Mercado?," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 4(1), pages 37-82.
- Ide, Kayo & Sornette, Didier, 2002. "Oscillatory finite-time singularities in finance, population and rupture," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 307(1), pages 63-106.
- Ravi Dhar & William Goetzmann, 2005. "Bubble Investors: What Were They Thinking?," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm446, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2006.
- Petroni, Filippo & Rotundo, Giulia, 2008.
"Effectiveness of measures of performance during speculative bubbles,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3942-3948.
- Filippo Petroni & Giulia Rotundo, 2007. "Effectiveness of Measures of Performance During Speculative Bubbles," Papers 0709.2423, arXiv.org.
- A. Johansen & D. Sornette, 2002. "Endogenous versus Exogenous Crashes in Financial Markets," Papers cond-mat/0210509, arXiv.org.
- Gisler, Monika & Sornette, Didier & Woodard, Ryan, 2011. "Innovation as a social bubble: The example of the Human Genome Project," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1412-1425.
- Li, Chong, 2017. "Log-periodic view on critical dates of the Chinese stock market bubbles," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 465(C), pages 305-311.
- M. Ausloos & K. Ivanova & N. Vandewalle, 2001. "Crashes : symptoms, diagnoses and remedies," Papers cond-mat/0104127, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2001.
- Hüsler, A. & Sornette, D. & Hommes, C.H., 2013.
"Super-exponential bubbles in lab experiments: Evidence for anchoring over-optimistic expectations on price,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 304-316.
- Andreas D. Huesler & Didier Sornette & C. H. Hommes, "undated". "Super-Exponential Bubbles in Lab Experiments: Evidence for Anchoring Over-Optimistic Expectations on Price," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 12-20, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Andreas Husler & Didier Sornette & Cars H. Hommes, 2012. "Super-exponential bubbles in lab experiments: evidence for anchoring over-optimistic expectations on price," Papers 1205.0635, arXiv.org.
- Vakhtina, Elena & Wosnitza, Jan Henrik, 2015. "Capital market based warning indicators of bank runs," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 417(C), pages 304-320.
- Wosnitza, Jan Henrik & Leker, Jens, 2014. "Can log-periodic power law structures arise from random fluctuations?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 401(C), pages 228-250.
- Johansen, Anders & Sornette, Didier, 2001. "Finite-time singularity in the dynamics of the world population, economic and financial indices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 294(3), pages 465-502.
- Gee Kwang Randolph Tan & Xiao Qin, 2005. "Bubbles, Can We Spot Them? Crashes, Can We Predict Them?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 206, Society for Computational Economics.
- Johansen, Anders, 2003. "Characterization of large price variations in financial markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 157-166.
- John Cotter, 2006. "Extreme Value Estimation of Boom and Crash Statistics," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(6-7), pages 553-566.
- Piotr Gnacinski & Danuta Makowiec, 2003. "Another type of log-periodic oscillations on Polish stock market?," Papers cond-mat/0307323, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2003.
- W. -X. Zhou & D. Sornette, 2002. "Evidence of a Worldwide Stock Market Log-Periodic Anti-Bubble Since Mid-2000," Papers cond-mat/0212010, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2003.
- Hans-Christian Graf v. Bothmer, 2003. "Significance of log-periodic signatures in cumulative noise," Papers cond-mat/0302507, arXiv.org, revised May 2003.
- Jovanovic, Franck & Schinckus, Christophe, 2017. "Econophysics and Financial Economics: An Emerging Dialogue," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780190205034.
- Hendrik J. Blok, 2000. "On the nature of the stock market: Simulations and experiments," Papers cond-mat/0010211, arXiv.org.
- Wosnitza, Jan Henrik & Denz, Cornelia, 2013. "Liquidity crisis detection: An application of log-periodic power law structures to default prediction," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(17), pages 3666-3681.
- Wosnitza, Jan Henrik & Leker, Jens, 2014. "Why credit risk markets are predestined for exhibiting log-periodic power law structures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 393(C), pages 427-449.
- Li Lin & Didier Sornette, 2015. ""Speculative Influence Network" during financial bubbles: application to Chinese Stock Markets," Papers 1510.08162, arXiv.org.
- Yu-Lei Wan & Wen-Jie Xie & Gao-Feng Gu & Zhi-Qiang Jiang & Wei Chen & Xiong Xiong & Wei Zhang & Wei-Xing Zhou, 2015. "Statistical Properties and Pre-hit Dynamics of Price Limit Hits in the Chinese Stock Markets," Papers 1503.03548, arXiv.org.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0004263. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators). General contact details of provider: http://arxiv.org/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.