Hedging Against the Interest-rate Risk by Measuring the Yield-curve Movement
By adopting the polynomial interpolation method, we propose an approach to hedge against the interest-rate risk of the default-free bonds by measuring the nonparallel movement of the yield-curve, such as the translation, the rotation and the twist. The empirical analysis shows that our hedging strategies are comparable to traditional duration-convexity strategy, or even better when we have more suitable hedging instruments on hand. The article shows that this strategy is flexible and robust to cope with the interest-rate risk and can help fine-tune a position as time changes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Dewachter, 2004.
"Macro factors and the term structure of interest rates,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
25, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Dewachter, Hans & Lyrio, Marco, 2006. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 119-140, February.
- Dewachter, H.D.R. & Lyrio, M., 2003. "Macro factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-037-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2003. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," International Economics Working Papers Series ces0304, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2002. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," International Economics Working Papers Series wpie007, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, International Economics.
- Hans Dewachter & Marco Lyrio, 2003. "Macro Factors and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0304, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Emanuele Bajo & Massimiliano Barbi & David Hillier, 2013. "Interest rate risk estimation: a new duration-based approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(19), pages 2697-2704, July.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992.
"Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008. "Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wei, Min, 2012.
"Evolving macroeconomic perceptions and the term structure of interest rates,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 239-254.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Min Wei, 2010. "Evolving macroeconomic perceptions and the term structure of interest rates," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Agca, Senay, 2005. "The Performance of Alternative Interest Rate Risk Measures and Immunization Strategies under a Heath-Jarrow-Morton Framework," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(03), pages 645-669, September.
- Miles Livingston & Lei Zhou, 2005. "Exponential Duration: A More Accurate Estimation Of Interest Rate Risk," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 343-361.
- Pesando, James E, 1979. "On the Random Walk Characteristics of Short- and Long-Term Interest Rates in an Efficient Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(4), pages 457-466, November.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003.
"A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables," NBER Working Papers 8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1312.6841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.