Patience vs. Impatience of Stock Traders
An ability to postpone one's execution without penalty provides an important strategic advantage in high-frequency trading. To elucidate competition between traders one has to formulate to a quantitative theory of formation of the execution price from market expectations and quotes. This theory was provided in 2005 by Foucault, Kadan and Kandel. I derive asymptotic distribution of the bids/offers as a function of the ratio of patient and impatient traders using the dynamic version of the Foucault, Kadan and Kandel dynamic Limit Order Book (LOB) model. Dynamic version of the LOB model allows stylized but sufficiently realistic representation of the trading markets. In particular, dynamic LOB allows simulation of the distribution of execution times and spreads from high-frequency quotes. Significant analytic progress is made towards understanding of trading as competition for immediacy of execution between traders. The results are qualitatively compared with empirical volume-at-price distribution of highly liquid stocks.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001.
"Limit order book as a market for liquidity,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
728, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Discussion Paper Series dp321, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print hal-00459785, HAL.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print halshs-00005043, HAL.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521687270 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521867849 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1204.1410. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.