On the Existence of Shadow Prices
For utility maximization problems under proportional transaction costs, it has been observed that the original market with transaction costs can sometimes be replaced by a frictionless "shadow market" that yields the same optimal strategy and utility. However, the question of whether or not this indeed holds in generality has remained elusive so far. In this paper we present a counterexample which shows that shadow prices may fail to exist. On the other hand, we prove that short selling constraints are a sufficient condition to warrant their existence, even in very general multi-currency market models with possibly discontinuous bid-ask-spreads.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cvitanic, Jaksa & Wang, Hui, 2001. "On optimal terminal wealth under transaction costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 223-231, April.
- repec:fth:inseep:9513 is not listed on IDEAS
- Owen, Mark & Campi, Luciano, 2011. "Multivariate Utility Maximization with Proportional Transaction Costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2318, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lamberton, Damien & Pham, Huyên & Schweizer, Martin, 1998. "Local risk-minimization under transaction costs," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,18, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kallal, Hedi & Jouini, Elyès, 1995. "Martingales and arbitrage in securities markets with transaction costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5630, Paris Dauphine University.
- Jaksa Cvitanić & Ioannis Karatzas, 1996. "HEDGING AND PORTFOLIO OPTIMIZATION UNDER TRANSACTION COSTS: A MARTINGALE APPROACH-super-2," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 133-165.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Luciano Campi & Mark Owen, 2011. "Multivariate utility maximization with proportional transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 461-499, September.
- Goll, Thomas & Kallsen, Jan, 2000. "Optimal portfolios for logarithmic utility," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 31-48, September.
- Loewenstein, Mark, 2000. "On optimal portfolio trading strategies for an investor facing transactions costs in a continuous trading market," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-228, March.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi, 2011. "Multivariate utility maximization with proportional transaction costs and random endowment," Working Papers hal-00586377, HAL.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Bouchard, Bruno, 2002. "Utility Maximization on the Real Line under Proportional Transaction Costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1532, Paris Dauphine University.
- HuyËn Pham & Nizar Touzi & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "A closed-form solution to the problem of super-replication under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 35-54.
- Stefan Gerhold & Paolo Guasoni & Johannes Muhle-Karbe & Walter Schachermayer, 2011. "Transaction Costs, Trading Volume, and the Liquidity Premium," Papers 1108.1167, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Paolo Guasoni & Mikl\'os R\'asonyi & Walter Schachermayer, 2008. "Consistent price systems and face-lifting pricing under transaction costs," Papers 0803.4416, arXiv.org.
- Bruno Bouchard, 2002. "Utility maximization on the real line under proportional transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 495-516.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1111.6633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.