Portfolio Selection with Small Transaction Costs and Binding Portfolio Constraints
An investor with constant relative risk aversion and an infinite planning horizon trades a risky and a safe asset with constant investment opportunities, in the presence of small transaction costs and a binding exogenous portfolio constraint. We explicitly derive the optimal trading policy, its welfare, and implied trading volume. As an application, we study the problem of selecting a prime broker among alternatives with different lending rates and margin requirements. Moreover, we discuss how changing regulatory constraints affect the deposit rates offered for illiquid loans.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magill, Michael J. P. & Constantinides, George M., 1976. "Portfolio selection with transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 245-263, October.
- Karel Janeček & Steven Shreve, 2004. "Asymptotic analysis for optimal investment and consumption with transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 181-206, 05.
- Attila Herczegh & Vilmos Prokaj, 2011. "Shadow price in the power utility case," Papers 1112.4385, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2014.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1991. "Super contact and related optimality conditions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 675-685, October.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Vila, Jean-Luc, 1992. "Optimal Dynamic Trading with Leverage Constraints," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 151-168, June.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the existence of shadow prices," Working Papers hal-00645980, HAL.
- Dai, Min & Jin, Hanqing & Liu, Hong, 2011. "Illiquidity, position limits, and optimal investment for mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1598-1630, July.
- J. Kallsen & J. Muhle-Karbe, 2010. "On using shadow prices in portfolio optimization with transaction costs," Papers 1010.4989, arXiv.org.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- Giuseppe Benedetti & Luciano Campi & Jan Kallsen & Johannes Muhle-Karbe, 2011. "On the Existence of Shadow Prices," Papers 1111.6633, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2013.
- Loewenstein, Mark, 2000. "On optimal portfolio trading strategies for an investor facing transactions costs in a continuous trading market," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-228, March.
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-95, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1205.4588. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.