Time-Consistent Actuarial Valuations
Recent theoretical results establish that time-consistent valuations (i.e. pricing operators) can be created by backward iteration of one-period valuations. In this paper we investigate the continuous-time limits of well-known actuarial premium principles when such backward iteration procedures are applied. We show that the one-period variance premiumprinciple converges to the non-linear exponential indifference valuation. Furthermore, we study the convergence of the one-period standard-deviation principle and establish that the Cost-of-Capital principle, which is widely used by the insurance industry, converges to the same limit as the standard-deviation principle. Finally, we study the connections between our time-consistent pricing operators, Good Deal Bound pricing and pricing under model ambiguity.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosazza Gianin, Emanuela, 2006. "Risk measures via g-expectations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 19-34, August.
- Stadje, M.A. & Pelsser, A., 2014. "Time-Consistent and Market-Consistent Evaluations (Revised version of 2012-086)," Discussion Paper 2014-002, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Riedel, Frank, 2004.
"Dynamic coherent risk measures,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 185-200, August.
- Frank Riedel, 2003. "Dynamic Coherent Risk Measures," Working Papers 03004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Antoon Pelsser & Mitja Stadje, 2014. "Time-Consistent And Market-Consistent Evaluations," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 25-65, 01.
- Mitja Stadje & Antoon Pelsser, 2011. "Time-Consistent and Market-Consistent Evaluations," Papers 1109.1749, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2013.
- Patrick Cheridito & Freddy Delbaen & Michael Kupper, 2005. "Coherent and convex monetary risk measures for unbounded càdlàg processes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 369-387, 07.
- Wang, Shaun S., 2002. "A Universal Framework for Pricing Financial and Insurance Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 213-234, November.
- Freddy Delbaen & Shige Peng & Emanuela Rosazza Gianin, 2010. "Representation of the penalty term of dynamic concave utilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 449-472, September.
- Rainer Baule & Marco Wilkens, 2004. "Lean Trees--A General Approach for Improving Performance of Lattice Models for Option Pricing," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 53-72.
- Eckhard Platen, 2006. "A Benchmark Approach To Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 131-151.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004. "A Benchmark Approach to Finance," Research Paper Series 138, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Jocelyne Bion-Nadal, 2008. "Dynamic risk measures: Time consistency and risk measures from BMO martingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 219-244, April.
- Goovaerts, Marc J. & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2008. "Actuarial risk measures for financial derivative pricing," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 540-547, April.
- Filipovic, Damir & Vogelpoth, Nicolas, 2008. "A note on the Swiss Solvency Test risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 897-902, June.
- Monoyios, Michael, 2004. "Option pricing with transaction costs using a Markov chain approximation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 889-913, February.
- Figlewski, Stephen & Gao, Bin, 1999. "The adaptive mesh model: a new approach to efficient option pricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 313-351, September.
- Stephen Figlewski & Bin Gao, 1998. "The Adaptive Mesh Model: A New Approach to Efficient Option Pricing," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Stadje, Mitja, 2009. "Time-inconsistency of VaR and time-consistent alternatives," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 40-46, March.
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Valuation Of Claims On Nontraded Assets Using Utility Maximization," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 351-373.
- Jang, Jiwook, 2007. "Jump diffusion processes and their applications in insurance and finance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 62-70, July.
- David Hobson, 2004. "STOCHASTIC VOLATILITY MODELS, CORRELATION, AND THE "q"-OPTIMAL MEASURE," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 537-556.
- A. Jobert & L. C. G. Rogers, 2008. "Valuations And Dynamic Convex Risk Measures," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- A. Jobert & L. C. G. Rogers, 2007. "Valuations and dynamic convex risk measures," Papers 0709.0232, arXiv.org.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Hua Chen & Samuel H. Cox, 2009. "Modeling Mortality With Jumps: Applications to Mortality Securitization," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 727-751.
- Amin, Kaushik I, 1993. " Jump Diffusion Option Valuation in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1833-1863, December.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Stadje, Mitja, 2010. "Extending dynamic convex risk measures from discrete time to continuous time: A convergence approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 391-404, December.
- Yuen, Fei Lung & Yang, Hailiang, 2009. "Option Pricing in a Jump-Diffusion Model with Regime Switching," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(02), pages 515-539, November.
- Biffis, Enrico, 2005. "Affine processes for dynamic mortality and actuarial valuations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 443-468, December.
- Berend Roorda & J. M. Schumacher & Jacob Engwerda, 2005. "Coherent Acceptability Measures In Multiperiod Models," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 589-612.
- Marek Musiela & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2004. "An example of indifference prices under exponential preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 229-239, 05.
- Hilliard, Jimmy E. & Schwartz, Adam, 2005. "Pricing European and American Derivatives under a Jump-Diffusion Process: A Bivariate Tree Approach," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(03), pages 671-691, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1109.1751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.