Calibration of Chaotic Models for Interest Rates
In this paper we calibrate chaotic models for interest rates to market data using a polynomial-exponential parametrization for the chaos coefficients. We identify a subclass of one-variable models that allow us to introduce complexity from higher order chaos in a controlled way while retaining considerable analytic tractability. In particular we derive explicit expressions for bond and option prices in a one-variable third chaos model in terms of elementary combinations of normal density and cumulative distribution functions. We then compare the calibration performance of chaos models with that of well-known benchmark models. For term structure calibration we find that chaos models are comparable to the Svensson model, with the advantage of guaranteed positivity and consistency with a dynamic stochastic evolution of interest rates. For calibration to option data, chaos models outperform the Hull and White and rational lognormal models and are comparable to LIBOR market models.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Tino Kluge & L. C. G. Rogers, 2012. "The potential approach in practice," Papers 1204.5718, arXiv.org.
- Tomas Björk & Bent Jesper Christensen, 1999.
"Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 323-348.
- Björk, Tomas & Christensen, Bent Jesper, 1997. "Interest Rate Dynamics and Consistent Forward Rate Curves," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 209, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Feng Zhao & Robert Jarrow & Haitao Li, 2004. "Interest Rate Caps Smile Too! But Can the LIBOR Market Models Capture It?," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 431, Econometric Society.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592.
- L. C. G. Rogers, 1997. "The Potential Approach to the Term Structure of Interest Rates and Foreign Exchange Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 157-176. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1106.2478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.