A Fast Mean-Reverting Correction to Heston's Stochastic Volatility Model
We propose a multi-scale stochastic volatility model in which a fast mean-reverting factor of volatility is built on top of the Heston stochastic volatility model. A singular pertubative expansion is then used to obtain an approximation for European option prices. The resulting pricing formulas are semi-analytic, in the sense that they can be expressed as integrals. Difficulties associated with the numerical evaluation of these integrals are discussed, and techniques for avoiding these difficulties are provided. Overall, it is shown that computational complexity for our model is comparable to the case of a pure Heston model, but our correction brings significant flexibility in terms of fitting to the implied volatility surface. This is illustrated numerically and with option data.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Leon, Angel & Rubio, Gonzalo, 2002. "Estimation and empirical performance of Heston's stochastic volatility model: the case of a thinly traded market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 225-255, March.
- Melino, Angelo & Turnbull, Stuart M., 1990. "Pricing foreign currency options with stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 239-265.
- Roger Lord & Christian Kahl, 2006. "Why the Rotation Count Algorithm works," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-065/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Ronald Gallant, A. & Ghysels, Eric & Tauchen, George, 2003.
"Alternative models for stock price dynamics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 225-257.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Gallant, A. Ronald & Ghysels, Eric & Tauchen, George, 2002. "Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamic," Working Papers 02-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mikhail Chernov & A. Ronald Gallant & Eric Ghysels & George Tauchen, 2002. "Alternative Models for Stock Price Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-58, CIRANO.
- Eric Hillebrand, 2003. "Overlaying Time Scales and Persistence Estimation in GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrics 0301003, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1007.4366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.