D-optimal conjoint choice designs with no-choice options for a nested logit model
Despite the fact that many conjoint choice experiments offer respondents a no-choice option in every choice set, the optimal design of conjoint choice experiments involving no-choice options has received only a limited amount of attention in the literature. In this article, we present an approach to construct D-optimal designs for this type of experiment. For that purpose, we derive the information matrix of a nested multinomial logit model that is appropriate for analyzing data from choice experiments with no-choice options. The newly derived information matrix is compared to the information matrix for the multinomial logit model that is used in the literature to construct designs for choice experiments. It is also used to quantify the loss of information in a choice experiment due to the presence of a no-choice option.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen|
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Sándor & Michel Wedel, 2002. "Profile Construction in Experimental Choice Designs for Mixed Logit Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 455-475, February.
- Kessels, Roselinde & Jones, Bradley & Goos, Peter & Vandebroek, Martina, 2009. "An Efficient Algorithm for Constructing Bayesian Optimal Choice Designs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 279-291.
- Goos, Peter & Vandebroek, Martina, 2001. "-optimal response surface designs in the presence of random block effects," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 433-453, October.
- Kessels, Roselinde & Goos, Peter & Vandebroek, Martina, 2008. "Optimal designs for conjoint experiments," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2369-2387, January.
- Dhar, Ravi, 1997. " Consumer Preference for a No-Choice Option," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 215-231, September.
- Heiko Großmann & Heinz Holling & Ulrike Graßhoff & Rainer Schwabe, 2006. "Optimal Designs for Asymmetric Linear Paired Comparisons with a Profile Strength Constraint," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 64(1), pages 109-119, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2008020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.