Genesis of indifference thresholds and infinitely many indifference points in discrete time infinite horizon optimisation problems
This article investigates the discrete time indifference-attractor bifurcation of infinite horizon continous-time optimal control problems with a single state variable. We show that these bifurcations are linked to a heteroclinic bifurcation scenario of the state-costate equations, and we analyse the consequences for the optimal solutions. In particular, we can characterise the bifurcation value at which indifference thresholds appear by a geometric condition, and we find that for certain parameter values, there are countably infinitely many indifference points. We apply our results to a modified version of the shallow lake pollution management problem.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dept. of Economics and Econometrics, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Roetersstraat 11, NL - 1018 WB Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
Phone: + 31 20 525 52 58
Fax: + 31 20 525 52 83
Web page: http://www.fee.uva.nl/cendef/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2000.
"The Economics of Shallow Lakes,"
2000-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Olli Tahvonen, 1995. "Dynamics of pollution control when damage is sensitive to the rate of pollution accumulation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(1), pages 9-27, January.
- Dechert, W. Davis & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1983. "A complete characterization of optimal growth paths in an aggregated model with a non-concave production function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 332-354, December.
- Wagener, F. O. O., 2003. "Skiba points and heteroclinic bifurcations, with applications to the shallow lake system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1533-1561, July.
- Grune, Lars & Semmler, Willi, 2004. "Using dynamic programming with adaptive grid scheme for optimal control problems in economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2427-2456, December.
- Herbert Dawid & Christophe Deissenberg, "undated".
"On the Efficiency-Effects of Private (Dis-)Trust in the Government,"
Modeling, Computing, and Mastering Complexity 2003
25, Society for Computational Economics.
- Dawid, Herbert & Deissenberg, Christophe, 2005. "On the efficiency-effects of private (dis-)trust in the government," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 530-550, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ams:ndfwpp:09-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cees C.G. Diks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.