Changing Household Demand Patterns in the Netherlands: some explanations
We examine in detail the changes in household expenditures patterns, and in particular services related expenditures, in the Netherlands over the years 1979, 1989 and 1998. Using Engel curve estimations, these changes are related to changes in household demographics, employment, the budget and relative prices. We find that the dominating changes in demand are decreasing shares of expenditures on food and clothing and an increasing share of expenditures on housing. We show that the decrease in food expenditures is for a large part explained by changes in household characteristics and the budget and about a third is a price effect. The increase in housing expenditures share is predominantly a price effect. Excluding expenditures on housing, health and education and durables, the increase in the budget share of all services is 13.6 %-points. We show that 2.7%-points of this increase is explained by demographic changes and 2.9%-points by price changes. Changes in the employment structure and the budget explain relatively little changes (0.3%-points), leaving 7.7%-points unexplained.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uva-aias.net
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalwij, A.S. & Alessie, R.J.M. & Fontein, P.F., 1998.
"Household commodity demand and demographics in The Netherlands : A microeconometric analysis,"
Other publications TiSEM
414b2144-b49e-42f9-8081-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Adriaan Kalwij & Rob Alessie & Peter Fontein, 1998. "Household commodity demand and demographics in the Netherlands: A microeconometric analysis," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 551-577.
- Laura Blow & Adriaan Kalwij & Javier Castillo, 2004. "Methodological issues on the analysis of consumer demand patterns over time and across countries," DEMPATEM Working Papers wp9, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-78952 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adriaan Kalwij & Steve Machin, 2004. "Changes in Household Demand Patterns: A Cross-Country Comparison," DEMPATEM Working Papers wp8, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aia:dempat:wp3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiemer Salverda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.