Navigating in Troubled Waters: South American Exports of Food and Agricultural Products in the World Market, 1900-1938
The present study offers a new quantitative base to analyze the evolution of exports of agricultural and food products from South America in the complicated period between 1900 and 1938. The data base has been elaborated from the information published by the International Institute of Agriculture (IIA), in those years. The paper also constructs a terms of trade series for South American agricultural exports, using the data of Grilli-Yang (1988), updated by Pfaffenzeller (2007). It is considered to be the first time of offering for this period a series for the evolution for the terms of trade in the region which takes into account in its construction the relative weight of the exports of the distinct agricultural products. An explanation is provided of the position of South America in the world market for agricultural products on the eve of the First World War. Then it is analyzed first the impact of the war on the volume of agricultural exports from the region and in second place that of the Great Depression. Finally the evolution of the terms of trade of South American agricultural exports throughout the period is analyzed..
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aehe.net|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pinilla, Vicente & Ayuda, Maria-Isabel, 2002. "The political economy of the wine trade: Spanish exports and the international market, 1890 1935," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 51-85, April.
- William Hynes, David S Jacks and Kevin H. O’Rourke, 2009.
"Commodity Market Disintegration in the Interwar Period,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- William Hynes & David S. Jacks & Kevin H. O'rourke, 2012. "Commodity market disintegration in the interwar period," European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 119-143, May.
- William Hynes & David S. Jacks & Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2009. "Commodity Market Disintegration in the Interwar Period," NBER Working Papers 14767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hynes, William & Jacks, David S. & O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj, 2009. "Commodity Market Disintegration in the Interwar Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 7189, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2011. "Trade and Poverty: When the Third World Fell Behind," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015158, June.
- Ocampo, José Antonio & Parra-Lancourt, Mariángela, 2010. "The terms of trade for commodities since the mid-19th century," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 11-43, March.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2008.
"Globalization and the Great Divergence: Terms of Trade Booms and Volatility in the Poor Periphery 1782-1913,"
NBER Working Papers
13841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2008. "Globalization and the Great Divergence: Terms of Trade Booms and Volatility in the Poor Periphery 1782-1913," Working Papers 08-07, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- César Yáñez & Rodrigo Rivero & Marc Badia-Miró & Anna Carreras-Marín, 2012. "La población de los países latinoamericanos desde el siglo XIX hasta el 2008. Ensayo de historia cuantitativa," Documentos de Trabajo (DT-AEHE) 1202, Asociación Española de Historia Económica.
- Pinilla, Vicente & Ayuda, María-Isabel, 2010. "Taking advantage of globalization? Spain and the building of the international market in Mediterranean horticultural products, 1850–1935," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 239-274, August.
- Anonymous, 1928. "Rye in Its Relations to Wheat," Wheat Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 05, March.
- Stephan Pfaffenzeller & Paul Newbold & Anthony Rayner, 2007. "A Short Note on Updating the Grilli and Yang Commodity Price Index," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 151-163.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2011. "Trade and Poverty: When the Third World Fell Behind," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262015153, June.
- Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2006. "Globalization and the Poor Periphery before 1950," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232502, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ahe:dtaehe:1406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Vilar Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.