Crisis bancarias en la historia de España. Del Antiguo Régimen a los orígenes del capitalismo moderno
In the last eight centuries there have been hundreds of banking crises throughout the entire planet. Spain has not been an exception and our history is plagued with numerous financial disasters in which the collapse of one institution has jeopardized the stability of the whole financial structure. This paper examines two of the most severe banking crises of Spain´s history. The failures of the so-called public banks in the commercial city of Seville at the end of the XVI century and theirs effects over the stability of the payment system. The Andalusian deposit banks played an essential role in the Atlantic trade and their debacle affected the entire economic and financial fabric of the region, and it had long lasting consequences. The 1866 crisis, one of the most severe of contemporary Spain, wiped out half of the banks and credit companies. The bankruptcies weakened the nascent financial system and its consequences were felt until the end of the century.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aehe.es|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drelichman, Mauricio & Voth, Hans-Joachim, 2007. "The Sustainable Debts of Philip II: A Reconstruction of Spain's Fiscal Position, 1560-1598," CEPR Discussion Papers 6611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Escosura, Leandro Prados, 2010.
"Spain’s international position, 1850-1913,"
Revista de Historia Económica,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 173-215, March.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2009. "Spain's International Position, 1850-1913," CEPR Discussion Papers 7591, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2009. "Spain´s International Position, 1850-1913," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp09-09, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Raymond de Roover, 1944. "What is Dry Exchange? A Contribution to the Study of English Mercantilism," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52, pages 250.
- Flandreau, Marc & Galimard, Christophe & Jobst, Clemens & Nogues-Marco, Pilar, 2006. "The Bell Jar: Commercial Interest Rates between Two Revolutions, 1688-1789," CEPR Discussion Papers 5940, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- William Roberds & Stephen Quinn, 2007. "The Bank of Amsterdam and the Leap to Central Bank Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 262-265, May.
- Galo Nuño & Pedro Tedde & Alessio Moro, 2011. "Money dynamics with multiple banks of issue: evidence from Spain 1856-1874," Working Papers 1119, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ahe:dtaehe:1201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Estrella Trincado Aznar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.