Microeconometric Models of Consumer and Producer Demand with Limited Dependent Variables
The specification and estimation of models of consumer and producer demand with kink points are considered. The presence of kink points divides the demand or production schedule into different regimes. Our approach utilizes the concept of virtual prices. The virtual prices transform binding quantities into nonbinding ones and provide a rigorous justification for structural change in the observed demand functions across regimes. The comparison of virtual prices with market prices determines regime occurences. An application to energy demand in Indonesian manufacturing firms based on the translog cost function is provided.
|Date of creation:||1984|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (612) 625-1222|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu/EDC.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Tobie & H. S. Houthakker, 1950. "The Effects of Rationing on Demand Elasticities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 140-153.
- Burtless, Gary & Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiments,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1103-1130, December.
- G. Burtless & J. A. Hausman, 1977. "The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiment," Working papers 211, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1974. "Wage Comparisons-A Selectivity Bias," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1119-1143, Nov.-Dec..
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-114, February.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1979. "Interfuel Substitution and the Industrial Demand for Energy: An International Comparison," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 169-179, May.
- T. J. Wales & A. D. Woodland, 1979. "Labour Supply and Progressive Taxes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 83-95.
- E. Rothbarth, 1941. "The Measurement of Changes in Real Income under Conditions of Rationing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 100-107.
- McKay, Lloyd & Lawrence, Denis & Vlastuin, Chris, 1983. "Profit, Output Supply, and Input Demand Functions for Multiproduct Firms: The Case of Australian Agriculture," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(2), pages 323-339, June.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-383, June.
- Mark M. Pitt, 1985. "Estimating Industrial Energy Demand with Firm-Level Data: The Case of Indonesia," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 25-39.
- Blundell, Richard W & Walker, Ian, 1982. "Modelling the Joint Determination of Household Labour Supplies and Commodity Demands," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(366), pages 351-364, June.
- Fuss, Melvyn A., 1977. "The demand for energy in Canadian manufacturing : An example of the estimation of production structures with many inputs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 89-116, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umedbu:7495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.