Social Capital Formation in Rural, Urban and Suburban Communities
In this paper, we define social capital from different perspectives and show how it is linked to the concept of a community. Based on these definitions, a conceptual framework for analyzing and measuring social capital and its indicators is developed. A typology for analyzing social capital is then created based on different types of communities. The characteristics of three prototype communities–a small rural community, a modern city suburb, and a community located in the core of a central city are outlined. For each prototype community, social capital formation strategies and indicators suggesting evidence of social capital are identified. Implications for future research efforts dealing with social capital are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 400 Agricultural Engineering Bldg., Lexington, KY 40546-0276|
Phone: (859) 257-5762
Fax: (859) 323-1913
Web page: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AgEcon
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P.J. McLoughlin, 1983. "Community Considerations as Location Attraction Variables for Manufacturing Industry," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 20(3), pages 359-363, August.
- Stephan J. Goetz, 1993. "Human Capital and Rural Labor Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1164-1168.
- Hughes, William Jr. & Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 1996. "Uncertain Neighborhood Effects and Restrictive Covenants," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 160-172, March.
- A. Hirschfield & K.J. Bowers, 1997. "The Effect of Social Cohesion on Levels of Recorded Crime in Disadvantaged Areas," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 34(8), pages 1275-1295, July.
- Knapp, Thomas A. & Graves, Philip E., 1989. "On the role of amenities in models of migration and regional development," MPRA Paper 19914, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brian K. Ray, 1997. "The Changing 'Face' of the Suburbs: Issues of Ethnicity and Residential Change in Suburban Vancouver," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 75-99, 03.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 1995. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Italy," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 295-307, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ukysps:159102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.