Representing Risk Preferences in Expected Utility Based Decision Models
The application and estimation of expected utility based decision models would benefit from having additional simple and flexible functional forms to represent risk preferences. The literature so far has provided these functional forms for the utility function itself. This work shows that functional forms for the marginal utility function are as useful, are easier to provide, and can represent a larger set of risk preferences. Several functional forms for marginal utility are suggested, and how they can be used is discussed. These marginal utility functions represent risk preferences that cannot be represented by any functional form for the utility function.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.auburn.edu/academic/agriculture/agrisk|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atanu Saha & C. Richard Shumway & Hovav Talpaz, 1994. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preference Structure and Technology Using Expo-Power Utility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(2), pages 173-184.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010. "The equity premium: a puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1401, David K. Levine.
- LiCalzi, Marco & Sorato, Annamaria, 2006. "The Pearson system of utility functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 560-573, July.
- Marco LiCalzi & Annamaria Sorato, 2003. "The Pearson system of utility functions," Game Theory and Information 0311002, EconWPA.
- Denis Conniffe, 2007. "The Generalised Extreme Value Distribution as Utility Function," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(3), pages 275-288.
- Denis Conniffe, 2007. "The Generalised Extreme Value Distribution as Utility Function," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1780907, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Meyer, Donald J. & Meyer, Jack, 2005. "Risk preferences in multi-period consumption models, the equity premium puzzle, and habit formation utility," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1497-1515, November.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1996. "The Equity Premium: It's Still a Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 42-71, March.
- Kocherlakota, N., 1995. "The Equity Premium: It's Still a Puzzle," Working Papers 95-05, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Narayana R. Kocherlakota, 1995. "The equity premium: it's still a puzzle," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Denis Conniffe, 2007. "The Flexible Three Parameter Utility Function," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 8(1), pages 57-63, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)