Geographical Diversification in Agriculture: An Applied Case to Western U.S. Wheat Growers
Yield correlations between 380 different counties are calculated for non-irrigated wheat. Using this data, a function is estimated that shows the relationship between correlation and changes in geographic and climate data. In addition movement variables are included added to the specification to capture the impact of moving from one production region to another. A negative relationship was found between changes in latitude, longitude, precipitation, elevation, and temperature. Correlations and longitude and precipitation showed downward sloping concave relationship, whereas correlations and latitude showed downward sloping convex relationships. Changes in latitude and longitude are found to have greatest impact on correlation with elasticities of -1.54 and -1.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. Jeffrey Price & Michael E. Wetzstein & Mark W. Rieger, 1997. "Reducing Yield Variation in Peach Orchards by Geographic Scattering," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1119-1126.
- Ehling, Paul & Ramos, Sofia B., 2006.
"Geographic versus industry diversification: Constraints matter,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 396-416, October.
- Ehling, Paul & Ramos, Sofia Brito, 2005. "Geographic versus industry diversification: constraints matter," Working Paper Series 0425, European Central Bank.
- Paul EHLING & Sofia B. RAMOS, 2004. "Geographic Versus Industry Diversification: Contraints Matter," FAME Research Paper Series rp113, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Lence, Sergio H., 2005.
"Risk Management by Farmers, Agribusinesses, and Lenders,"
Staff General Research Papers
12607, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Sergio H. Lence, 2005. "Risk management by farmers, agribusinesses, and lenders," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 65(2), pages 131-148, July.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001.
"Uncertainty, risk aversion, and risk management for agricultural producers,"
Handbook of Agricultural Economics,
in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 88-153
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Hennessy, David A., 2001. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and Risk Management for Agricultural Producers," Staff General Research Papers 5323, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:33:y:2001:i:3:p:413-429 is not listed on IDEAS
- Allen M. Featherstone & Gregory A. Ibendahl & J. Randy Winter & Aslihan Spaulding, 2005. "Farm financial structure," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 65(2), pages 97-117, July.
- Escalante, Cesar L. & Barry, Peter J., 2001. "Risk Balancing In An Integrated Farm Risk Management Plan," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S., 2002. "Risk Management Through Enterprise Diversification: A Farm-Level Analysis," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19711, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeana:46819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.