Spatial Price Discovery, Dynamics, and Leadership in Evolving Distiller’s Grain Markets
Recent dramatic growth in corn-based bio-refining has generated considerable growth in the by-product of this process, distiller’s grains. Distiller’s grains are rapidly becoming important livestock feed ingredient sources. However, little public market information is available on distiller’s grain. This study determines spatial and temporal price relationships among distiller’s grain markets. Results indicate spatial distiller’s grain markets operate somewhat independently suggesting potential arbitrage opportunities and indicating distiller’s grain markets are information starved. Furthermore, available futures markets are not viable price risk transfer tools for distiller’s grains.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djunaidi, Harjanto & Young, Kenneth B. & Wailes, Eric J. & Hoffman, Linwood A. & Childs, Nathan W., 2001. "Spatial Pricing Efficiency: The Case Of U.S. Long Grain Rice," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20457, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pendell, Dustin L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2006. "Impact of Mandatory Price Reporting on Fed Cattle Market Integration," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001.
"Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999. "Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Leuthold, Raymond M & Garcia, Philip & Chaherli, Nabil, 1992. "Information, Pricing and Efficiency in Cash and Futures Markets: The Case of Hogs," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 27-33, Supplemen.
- Brinker, Adam J. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2007. "Cross-Hedging Distillers Dried Grains: Exploring Corn and Soybean Meal Futures Contracts," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37567, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Garbade, Kenneth D & Silber, William L, 1983. "Price Movements and Price Discovery in Futures and Cash Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(2), pages 289-297, May.
- Coffey, Brian K. & Anderson, John D. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2000. "Optimal Hedging Ratios And Hedging Risk For Grain By-Products," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21804, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6933. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.