Importance of Financial Variables on Efficiency of Class I Railroads in the United States
This study evaluates the consequences of financial variables on the efficiency of Class I railroads in the United States for the period 1996-2006. A panel stochastic frontier analysis is used to simultaneously estimate the stochastic frontier model and financial ratio model with output and efficiency measures as endogenous variables. Results show the average efficiency measures was 83 percent across six major class I railroads. The Burlington Northern-Santa Fe was most efficient and Norfolk Southern the least efficient for the period, 1996-2006.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman, 2000. "Technical efficiency of European railways: a distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 1967-1976.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "The Measurement of Firm-Specific Indexes of Technical Change," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 654-663, November.
- Evangelia Desli & Subhash Ray & Subal Kumbhakar, 2003.
"A dynamic stochastic frontier production model with time-varying efficiency,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(10), pages 623-626.
- Evangelia Desli & Subhash C. Ray & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2002. "A Dynamic Stochastic Frontier Production Model with Time-Varying Efficiency," Working papers 2003-15, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- David E. Davis & Wesley W. Wilson, 2003. "Wages in Rail Markets: Deregulation, Mergers, and Changing Networks Characteristics," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 865-885, April.
- Davis, David E. & Wilson, Wesley W., 2002. "Wages in Rail Markets: Deregulation, Mergers, and Changing Networks Characteristics," UGPTI Department Publication 231808, North Dakota State University, Upper Great Plains Transportation Institute.
- Davis, David E. & Wilson, Wesley W., 2005. "Wages in Rail Markets: Deregulation, Mergers, and Changing Network Characteristics," MPRA Paper 7663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee C. Adkins & Ronald L. Moomaw & Andreas Savvides, 2002. "Institutions, Freedom, and Technical Efficiency," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 92-108, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6874. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.