Contracting In Agriculture: A Primer For Farm Lenders
Contracting in agriculture has increased over the past several decades. This activity has heightened concerns about concentration, market power, and farmer welfare. The purpose of this paper is to describe some of the underlying motivations for contracting and to highlight some of the trade-offs made when making contracting decisions. These illustrations are intended to inform readers of the economic conditions for contracting, not provide empirical evidence of their implications, costs, or benefits.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 9755, Mississippi State, MS 39762-9755|
Phone: (601) 325-2750
Fax: (601) 325-8777
Web page: http://www.agecon.msstate.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hennessy, David A. & Lawrence, John D., 1999.
"Contractual Relations, Control, and Quality in the Hog Sector,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1706, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & John D. Lawrence, 1999. "Contractual Relations, Control, and Quality in the Hog Sector," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(1), pages 52-67.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 1996. "Testing the Monopsony-Inefficiency Incentive for Backward Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 585-590.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1998. "Quality Measurement And Risk-Sharing In Contracts For California Fruits And Vegetables," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20957, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Knight, Thomas O. & Lovell, Ashley C. & Rister, M. Edward & Coble, Keith H., 1989.
"An Analysis Of Lenders' Influence On Agricultural Producers' Risk Management Decisions,"
Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Knight, Thomas O. & Lovell, Ashley C. & Rister, M. Edward & Coble, Keith H., 1989. "An Analysis of Lenders' Influence on Agricultural Producers' Risk Management Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 21-33, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1989.
"Transaction cost economics,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 135-182
- Rehber, Erkan, 1998. "Vertical Integration In Agriculture And Contract Farming," Working Papers 25991, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:missrr:15789. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.