Farmers’ Production and Marketing Response to Rice Price Increases and Fertilizer Subsidies in the Office Du Niger
Many African governments responded to the dramatic increases in international and domestic grain prices of 2008 and 2009 through a mixture of trade policy changes and input/output market subsidies. In the case of Mali, the Government put in place a rice promotion program at the beginning of the 2008/09 production season. The program, called Initiative Riz (IR or Rice Initiative), made subsidized fertilizer available to rice producers nationwide with a particular focus on farmers in the Office du Niger, where roughly 50% of Mali’s rice is produced. The goal of the program was to increase domestic rice production by 50% over the 2007/08 level, thereby increasing marketable surpluses and putting downward pressure on cereal prices.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boughton, Duncan & Dembele, Niama Nango, 2010. "Rapid Reconnaissance of Coarse Grain Production and Marketing in the CMDT zone of southern Mali: field work report of the IER-CSA-PROMISAM team December 13-19, 2009," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 62226, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Colin A. Carter & Funing Zhong, 1999. "Rural Wheat Consumption in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 582-592.
- Kelly, Valerie A. & Murekezi, Abdoul Karim & Me-Nsope, Nathalie Mongue & Perakis, Sonja Melissa & Mather, David, 2013. "Cereal Market Dynamics: The Malian Experience from the 1990s to Present," Food Security International Development Working Papers 146935, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Buschena, David E. & Smith, Vincent H. & Di, Hua, 2005. "Policy reform and farmers' wheat allocation in rural China: a case study," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(2), June.
- Bratton, Michael & Mattes, Robert, 2003. "Support for Economic Reform? Popular Attitudes in Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 303-323, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midiwp:146941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.