The Effects Of Alternative Proposals On Export Subsidies To Agricultural Products In The Current Wto Round
The paper is aimed at assessing the impact of reducing and/or eliminating EU export subsidies within the next WTO round. The Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) model and database are employed to study the effects of the two main proposals put forward in the Doha Round on this matter by the EU and the US. Results of the simulations confirm the common knowledge that the elimination of EU export subsidies would imply increasing prices, exports and production for several net exporters of agricultural products. At the same time, such effects are all relatively small in size, particularly on trade, production and welfare, even under the more radical scenario that simulates the elimination of export subsidies. Despite some net importing countries would suffer from a more expensive import bills, benefits may arise for some of them in terms of incentives to substitute imports with domestic production. This is the case of the Mediterranean region, and to a lower extent of Sub Saharan Africa.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Barberini, 36 - 00187 Roma|
Web page: http://www.inea.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conforti, Piero & de Filippis, Fabrizio & Salvatici, Luca, 2002.
"The Mid-Term Review Of The Common Agricultural Policy: Assessing The Effects Of The Commission Proposals,"
14802, National Institute of Agricultural Economics, Italy INEA, Osservatorio Sulle Politiche Agricole dell'UE.
- Conforti, Piero & de Filippis, Fabrizio & Salvatici, Luca, 2002. "The Mid-Term Review Of The Common Agricultural Policy: Assessing The Effects Of The Commission Proposals," Working Papers 14802, National Institute of Agricultural Economics, Italy – INEA, Osservatorio Sulle Politiche Agricole dell'UE.
- Hertel, Thomas W & Martin, Will, 2001. "Second-Best Linkages and the Gains from Global Reform of Manufactures Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 215-32, May.
- Anderson, Kym, 2000. "Agriculture, Developing Countries, And The WTO Millennium Round," CEPR Discussion Papers 2437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Braun, Joachim & Wobst, Peter & Grote, Ulrike, 2002. ""Development Box" And Special And Differential Treatment For Food Security Of Developing Countries: Potentials, Limitations And Implementation Issues," Discussion Papers 18759, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Francois, Joseph & van Meijl, Hans & van Tongeren, Frank, 2003.
"Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries Under the Doha Round,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4032, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Francois & H. van Meijl & F. van Tongeren, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Developing Countries under the Doha Round," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-060/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 30 Aug 2003.
- Ruiz, Lilian M. & de Gorter, Harry, 2000. "The Impacts Of Export Subsidy Reduction Commitments In The Agreement On Agriculture," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21844, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- van Tongeren, Frank W. & van Meijl, Hans, 2006. "Multilateral Trade Liberalisation and Developing Countries: A North-South Perspective on Agriculture and Processing Sectors," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25462, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Messerlin, Patrick, 2003. "Agriculture in the Doha Agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3009, The World Bank.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, March.
- Diao, Xinshen & Somwaru, Agapi & Roe, Terry L., 2001. "A Global Analysis Of Agricultural Trade Reform In Wto Member Countries," Bulletins 12984, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Chau, Nancy H. & de Gorter, Harry, 2000. "Disentangling The Production And Export Consequences Of Direct Farm Income Payments," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21854, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ineawp:14801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.